At what point

PHILWahl

Weight loss

So hi everyone  I can use some advice on weight loss. There may be a thread on this subject but I am pressed for time today.

So I started CR 9 months ago at 162 lb

Am on a 1500 calorie but many days at 1100 plus serious exercise

My question is am a Male at 143.0 lb 5.10 inches am down from 162.lb

At what point in weight should I return to a higher daily calorie

Thankyou for your thoughts

PHIL

More important than weight is body composition.  I'd set a body fat % target and taper off restriction as the goal is approached.  15% body fat is considered a healthy mid range target for males.  Some athletes and men serious about CR probably want a lower goal.   Mine is 10%, some go significantly lower but adverse effects increase as one approaches 5%.

So to  answer my own question RC has a limit. It is not a practice that can go on  for ones life time. 

So 9 months ago I started this to follow doctor ornish is recommendation And so will probly stop at some point or continue To lose a lot of weight If I don't stop

Myself I followed a 30% reduction Of  Calories

3 hours ago, PHILWahl said:

So to  answer my own question RC has a limit. It is not a practice that can go on  for ones life time. 

Obviously, losing body mass is not sustainable long term.  But if caloric restriction isn't too severe body weight will stabilize at a lower weight without the need to raise calories.  Personally I find it more practical to track my results on a periodic basis and do a little fasting or other adjustments as needed than to focus heavily on calorie counting.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, PHILWahl said:

Am on a 1500 calorie but many days at 1100 plus serious exercise

My question is am a Male at 143.0 lb 5.10 inches am down from 162.lb

At what point in weight should I return to a higher daily calorie

Your present BMI is 20.5 = LEAN

Unless, as Todd hints at, you have for any reasons significant % fat.

If within 15-20% fat you can say you probably reached your ideal bodyweight.

If so, one possibility is to keep eating 1500 kCal and closely monitor the bodyweight.

Then, correct the caloric intake according to weight variations:

1. If weight keeps decreasing, increase kCal by 100; add to the calories until the weight keeps stable
  2. If weight keeps constant, don't do anything and keep those calories and exercise volume

Some people in this forum do the above intuitively, without measuring calories. Others like myself, diligently track calories and bodyweight every single day.

Of course the above implies that you ingest all the minimum requirements of amminoacids, micronutrients and so on and that your blood analyses are pretty good.

There are many options for measuring body fat.   The most seductively easy option may be scales which use impedance measurements.  I suspect they are the worst possible choice for accuracy.  Impedance measures, tape measures and skin fold calipers rely on formulas involving sex, age and height which means the results are best for the statistically average.  But the impedance measurement is probably subject to modulation to a greater degree and by more factors than a tape measure or calipers.  Hydrostatic testing has long been considered the gold standard and a new version using air displacement instead of water is considered pretty good and is becoming more readily available often at better price.  My favorite is dexa scanning which might not be quite as precise as hydrostatic testing but gives more information - not just the amounts but also the distribution of fat, muscle and bone and may more accurately measure fat mass for those of abnormal bone mass.  Some people practicing aggressive CR lose bone density and dexa scans can alert one to this potential issue.

I think a good strategy is to use a higher accuracy fat measure to establish a baseline calibration for one of the methods using formulas/charts that can be used as often as needed for ones tracking goals.

Archived