Edited

Mechanism

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a good conference, even includes Mike giving personal anecdotes about his gut microbiome, haha. Looks like one of Saul's colleagues from U of R will be there too.  But I guess judging by the response thus far, no takers?  Not sure I want to drop $1000 for it (with expenses/hotel) though.  We could meet up in Costa Rica (again) for less 😉

Sorry, I'm too poor right now. NY is a place I would have loved to visit... one of my dreams to go to NY...

And I was considering it but Google changed that overnight a few weeks ago.

But anyway, these kinds of events are happening with more frequency now, so I hope to at least get to hang out with fellow CRONies and life extensionists in the near future by visiting one of these cities and just meet up before or after the event and then explore the city. Not sure I can spend that much on attending an event. Maybe when I'm rich or at least not struggling to buy food. 😄 

Edited by Matt

Hi Mechanism!

The best chance to get the kind of get-together that you would like, is through either Brian Delaney -- or, best, if they are interested, David Stern and Robert Krikorian -- those two arranged all of the previous CR Society meetings.

--  Saul

2 hours ago, Mechanism said:

Could I ask anyone who posts here at least once a year - or has followed the board  -  post here their feelings about this meeting meeting and also any interest meeting in general?  Even just a few sentences on interest and any suggestions would be most valuable.

I might be up for another get-together in a fun location. But not NYC in July.

--Dean

Ironically, only because you mentioned Costa Rica in this thread originally, which made me think about it, I searched google flights yesterday just to price it out, and saw $314 round trip (all taxes/fees included), and hotels there with glowing reviews on tripadvisor are as low as $33/night (seriously), and the airline was offering $250 statement credit for signing up for their silly credit card (chase/united - its actually built right into their online booking system and both can be done at the same time), so a person could go there for 4 days for as little as $132!!  It's kind of absurd really, they have great, inexpensive food down there too.  Needless to say, I'm going back in August if anyone were interested (my flight is already booked, 13th-20th), but I'm not organizing anything,  too much hassle.  I'm also bringing my kids this time (age 8 and 13).  I'm grateful for your efforts!

Edited by Gordo

8 hours ago, Mechanism said:

TomBAvoider, mccoy, Sibiriak, Sirtuin, Michael R, Sthira, Brian A, drewab, mikecolella, AlPater, KHashmi317, BrianMDelaney, Genny, Kenton, Paula, Clinton, Todd Allen, Iporuru, johngonole, Ron Put, FrederickSebastian, Burak, KenB, LarryJohnson, etc. ( sorry if I missed you) please chime in with your interest and ideas and moreover what would or would not work for you?

Mechanism, as much as I would like to partecipate to CR meetings and make a personal acquaintaince with other members, unfortunately I'm leaving in Europe and presently too busy to contemplate any travel to the USA, which by the way I'm looking forward to visit again in the future.

Yea, I think some barriers you already touched on - some people have fears about traveling in general, but especially outside the US (Dominican Republic mystery illness is the latest craze, zika was all the rage a couple years ago), I think another big issue is differences in expectations and means - some want luxury only, others have no money and can't really travel at all or only on a limited budget.  Still, there was critical mass from what I've read, with conferences many years ago.  You would think the upcoming New York conf would be just about ideal on that basis, but it seems a lot of the old timers have lost interest or at least don't use the forums anymore.  With YouTube these days, you can pretty much see every longevity guru (repeatedly) at the touch of a button, maybe the novelty of in person events no longer has much allure as a result?  There's also a wide range of ages, and political persuasions which may be a factor, plus the whole "east coast" vs. "west coast" factor.  Initially there was a lot of interest in the "Dean organized Costa Rica" trip then almost everyone dropped out, some reasons I heard were: the expense, "questionable" accommodations (which turned out to be great but definitely not luxury), I think one person wanted to bring their kid but may not have felt it was kid friendly enough, there were health concerns or special needs, there was not great consensus on the dates either which is going to be the case with anything. 

I think it would be a waste of time to even attempt  CR² 2.0 if we can't even get 2 people to go to a solid longevity conference in New York 😉

Hi Mechanism!    Great to have you back!   I was seriously missing your always interesting contributions ( the situation being exacerbated by the Mccoy infringement issue.)   Regarding CR meetups,  unfortunately,   travel to the U.S. is really  out of the question for me at this time due to my distant location and other constraints.

Edited by Sibiriak

Mechanism -- FYI,

I would likely attend another CR Conference organized by David and Robert with relevant scientific speakers. I've been at all the past such conferences except the one in Atlanta, which didn't appeal to me partly because it appeared to be a minor attachment to a Gerontology conference and because of timing considerations unique to me. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'll be vacationing in the Adirondack mountains of New York state during the time of the "Ending Age-Related Diseases, NYC: 7/11 - 7/12" conference, but I wouldn't take the time from my vacation with family to travel elsewhere during that time.

• 3 weeks later...