There is no optimal diet for everyone

TomBAvoider

I’m fond of repeating on these boards that the way forward is through personalized medicine. There’ve been other posts here about how different people respond differently to different foods, and here is another comprehensive study showing that the same individual may respond differently at different times of their lives:

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-the-best-diet-no-such-thing-2019-6

It really puts a magnifying glass over all the claims one constantly reads about how “this food” is healthy and “that food” is not. Everyone is an individual.

The linked research is very similar (or identical) to that started by Segal and Elinav of the personilized nutrition project in Israel, which has been discussed multiple times in this forum.

It is based on glucose response as measured by a continuos glucose monitor. It is good to have more branches of this research, and maybe the most interesting point in the article was that ZOE, the personalized nutrition company just founded, will try to introduce in the market the monitors for general public, not only for T1 and T2 diabetics.

The above of course in the hypothesis that glucose peaks really are influencing health and longevity in non-diabetics. The extent of such statement is, to my knowledge, is not yet fully known. Of course the method is good to prevent diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Edited by mccoy

4 hours ago, mccoy said:

The above of course in the hypothesis that glucose peaks really are influencing health and longevity in non-diabetics.

The glycocalyx is the first line of endothelial defense and endothelial damage is an essential component of cardiovascular disease a leading cause of death.  Considering it has been shown to be damaged by hyperglycemia I'm glad to know I never spike my blood glucose.

Chronic hyperglycemia, acute, if acute how acute and with which frequency and intensity, has an hazardous area under curve proposed, have there been enough RCTs to ascertain such hypothesis, and so on and so forth.

Basically I'm playing the devil's advocate here since I agree upon the dangers of too elevated a glycaemia but I find that blood glucose is often extremely demonized and as usually happens people tend reason in extremes. Glucose=Satan, go the lowcarbers. Fat=Satan, go the lowfat vegans.

It also depends on purposes. The glucose signal is a notorious mTOR upregulator, but we also know that too much of a downregulated mTOR may bring about unwanted effects.