chromatin architectural defect & aging

A moderate dose of novel form of stress promotes longevity   https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-07-moderate-dose-stress-longevity.html

moderate chromatin stress levels set off a stress response in yeast, the tiny laboratory worm C. elegans, the fruit fly and mouse embryonic stem cells, and in yeast and C. elegans the response promotes longevity. 

"Unexpectedly, we found that yeast with fewer copies of histone genes lived longer than the controls,"

Yeast with a moderately low dose of histone genes showed a moderate reduction of histone gene expression and significant chromatin stress. Their response to chromatin disruption was changes in the activation of a number of genes that eventually promoted longevity.

In previous work Dang and colleagues had shown that in aging cells chromatin structure progressively falls apart. Histone alterations, such as a decrease in their protein levels, are a characteristic of the aging process, but the researchers showed that if they compensated for this age-related decrease in histone levels by overexpressing certain histone genes they extended the lifespan of aging yeast cells. In this study they discovered that moderately reducing the number of copies of histone genes in young yeast also promoted longevity.

"The mechanism underlying the chromatin stress response generated by moderate reduction of histone dosage is different from the one triggered by histone overexpression we had previously described, as shown by their different profiles of protein expression responses."

On 7/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, Saul said:

Interesting.

--  Saul

Hi Saul ~  I cyber-traveled, from my CRS Forum email app, all the way over here, to crsociety.org, to read who commented on this study and what was said, only to find a one word reply ("Interesting").  8^D  Kindly don't be shy ... and reply, why?  Do you see any practical implications?  https://www.freepressjournal.in/lifestyle/stressed-it-might-be-good-for-you  Tyvm!  o_O

Edited by Kenton
to add url

Hi Kenton!

My interpretation of this material is "research in progress".  It may (or may not) lead to further information, on why over- or under- expression of histones extends longevity in this variety of yeast.  And, if so, might it apply to some animals.

If it's accurate and of more general application, then it would suggest a level of hormesis -- two different methods of stressing the yeast (over- and under- expression of histones) resulting in improved longevity -- but my guess would be, that if this altered expression of histones was overdone, maybe not -- maybe the opposite.  But that's just a speculation on my part.

It MAY lead to something.

BUT, this assumes that this preliminary research in yeast is accurate -- so, my overall opinion is "research in progress" -- maybe promising.

--  Saul