fructose, an interesting perspective

This is an interesting and educational interview to Kamal Patel, founder of examine.com

It constitutes an unbiased view on this sugar, which appears to be in its natural state a very good nutrient and very useful to those who exercise

Edited by mccoy

• 2 years later...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/08/210818135218.htm

How fructose in the diet contributes to obesity

"Eating fructose appears to alter cells in the digestive tract in a way that enables it to take in more nutrients, according to a preclinical study. These changes could help to explain the well-known link between rising fructose consumption around the world and increased rates of obesity and certain cancers."

From the article:

Dr. Goncalves added that humans did not evolve to eat what they eat now. "Fructose is nearly ubiquitous in modern diets, whether it comes from high-fructose corn syrup, table sugar, or from natural foods like fruit," he said. "Fructose itself is not harmful. It's a problem of overconsumption. Our bodies were not designed to eat as much of it as we do."

--  Saul

3 hours ago, Saul said:

From the article:

Dr. Goncalves added that humans did not evolve to eat what they eat now. "Fructose is nearly ubiquitous in modern diets, whether it comes from high-fructose corn syrup, table sugar, or from natural foods like fruit," he said. "Fructose itself is not harmful. It's a problem of overconsumption. Our bodies were not designed to eat as much of it as we do."

--  Saul

I agree on the high-fructose corn syrup and table sugar, but fruit was likely a staple before we left Africa.

Granted the fruit in the supermarket today is probably rather different, but I have not seen good evidence that the consumption of whole fruit together with a balanced diet is detrimental in any way.

Edited by Ron Put

9 hours ago, Ron Put said:

I agree on the high-fructose corn syrup and table sugar, but fruit was likely a staple before we left Africa.

Granted the fruit in the supermarket today is probably rather different, but I have not seen good evidence that the consumption of whole fruit together with a balanced diet is detrimental in any way.

That's the current unbiased and more logical view on the subject. Even Dr. Lustig, who first warned people about the dangers of fructose, when interviewed by Peter Attia underlined that fruit is a different ballgame, it has fibers that modulate fructose absorption and interact with gut fauna. I would add that fruit has many other beneficial nutrients, organic acids, phenols and more. The guilty party here is really refined fructose, corn syrup, and so on, which makes it very easy an excessive consumption of it.

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/advance-article/doi/10.1210/clinem/dgab335/6290732

fruit lowers diabetes risk according to the above link

Higher consumption of blueberries, grapes, apples, bananas, and grapefruit have generally been associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes. Although the effect of each fruit was not considered statistically significant in the Australian study noted above, the odds of having type 2 diabetes fell most dramatically with increasing intake of apples, with the benefit continuing to increase even at 250 g (about 3 apples) per day, at which level the odds of diabetes was halved compared to no apple consumption. Similarly, the odds of diabetes decreased with increasing intake of oranges and other citrus, with 20% lower odds at an intake of 200 g (about 1.5 oranges or 1 grapefruit). The odds of diabetes fell by about 25% with intake of bananas of up to 75 grams per day (a little more than half a banana), but this benefit declined with higher intake, with no benefit from eating more than about one and a quarter bananas daily

Edited by Mike41

Interesting. In the last couple of months, I have actually stopped consuming my usual banana per day (90-130g), although I eat watermelon almost every day now.

I'll switch to apples in the Fall, although the apples I buy at Whole Foods are much heftier than the apples in the excerpt above (3 for a total of 250g).

I do eat blueberries (100-200g), strawberries (200-250g), and blackberries or raspberries every day. And I eat tons of kabocha (300-600g per day, about 5 days a week).

AC1 stays at 5 and fasting glucose is mid-80s generally, except when I took Berberine for five months and it went up to 107. I also eat seeds and grains (flax, sc oats, sorghum, chia, etc.) so carbs and fructose don't have adverse effects in my experience, as long as they are from whole foods.