How I Get Exercise... (using vr)

Matt

I don't even remember if I've spoken about VR on the forum but I love it!! I've had an Oculus Rift for a few years now... Looking to get the Oculus Quest at some point as well, which is a self-contained VR system that doesn't need a PC or anything. 

This game is one that I use to get some exercise. It really does give you a good work out...  Not exactly a boxing fan 😂 but it is fun.  

Anyone else have VR?

I was just testing to see how the PC performs when recording this as I might make a series. Already beat it on the hardest level. Main issue trying to get through it was fitness level... which improved steadily over time.

Edited by Matt

Boxing in VR like that would stress the shit out of me. But I really like the idea of VR as an educational tool.

“I’m calling for investments in educational technology that will help create. . . educational software that’s as compelling as the best video game. I want you guys to be stuck on a video game that’s teaching you something other than just blowing something up.” – Barack Obama

More easily learning new languages looks useful and cool, and of course space travel — have you tried Mission: ISS?

Or journeyed inside a human cell?

http://thebodyvr.com/

The Body VR: Journey Inside a Cell is an award-winning educational virtual reality experience that takes the user inside a human cell. The experience allows you to travel through the bloodstream and discover how blood cells work to spread oxygen throughout the body. You then enter one of the billions of living cells inside our body and learn how the organelles work together to fight deadly viruses...”

I like the looks of Sharecare... https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1656800021020362/

Guess I’m probably going to have to get an Oculus Quest when I’ve enough time and money. Thanks for the reminder.

• 1 month later...

Haha well, it's a good workout! I've managed to go through the whole thing on the hardest level. Once I got my fitness level up over a few weeks I managed to do it.

VR definitely has a big future in education and training!  I use VR to help me practice speaking Korean in some social apps like VRChat. I don't often meet people here from Korea, but in VR, I can speak and feel like I am "present" with them and talk. Plus, we can do some role-playing within the virtual world.

I have tried Mission ISS! It was really good. I think NASA collaborated with Oculus to produce that one. I did the EVA and docked Dragon to the robotic arm.

Journey Inside The Human Cell is okay, but there's much better stuff out there.

For something more relaxing, I do enjoy puzzle games like Shadow Point — which is also narrated by Sir Patrick Steward. It's an Oculus Quest game but can also be played on Rift.

Oculus Quest can be used in big spaces... Not recommended people use it outside because it's obviously dangerous, but it does work in lower light levels. The headset uses inside out tracking.