My personal CR questions...

FrederickSebastian

I know the thread at the top of this part of the website has a lot of information about "how much you should eat, what percent CR you are etc etc etc)... But my question is: how do you know you are on cr when going on cr might result in weight loss? I personally like being about 130lbs and less than 8% body fat (I am only 5'2" and was at this weight and body fat percentage in my prime). I am working on getting back there, but my question is: HOW CAN I GO ON A CRON DIET without losing weight, while maintaining a low-calorie lifestyle? Doesn't eating less = losing weight and eating more = gaining weight, so basically unless you are drastically underweight, you are not indeed practicing CR?

If eating less does indeed make you thinner, can a person at 123lbs, 4% body fat and being 5'2" be considered CR? I know it sounds stupid, but I am very superstitious and I like the idea of being 123lbs because it is a number sequence and I would love to show that off, also at my height I can healthily. I really don't want to go below 120 or above 140. I just like the way my body looks that way. How low, would you guess, can I get my calories while maintaining a weight of 123lbs?? I honestly have found that the less I eat, the better I feel. I was on a 1200-calorie diet for a while and felt pretty good, was on a 800-calorie diet for a while and felt really good and am now fasting (all for weight loss) and feel fantastic! While this is certainly not a permanent lifestyle option, I often wonder how low I can indeed get my calories while still getting proper nutrients and not encouraging arthritis or osteoporosis. I really like the idea of being on a 1,234 calorie/day diet, again, because it's a sequence, and believed I could for the longest time, because I am a small person (5'2", 130lbs when I take care of myself) but am guessing it would not be wise to get it under 1600. Any ideas?

On another note, when I did try CRON dieting for a brief period a few months ago, I loved it and did not mind eating that way at all! I can not begin to tell you how excited I was to walk into Walmart and buy foods that were actually healthy for me! It was a fun challenge! I've found that my favorite staple food is cabbage slaw and my favorite "healthy" food overall is nuts. I put a handful in my salads but it's hard to say no to more when the bottle's right there. I disciplined myself though.

Overall, I'd say going on the CRON diet was NOT difficult and I enjoyed the challenge -- it was fun... And, I will definitely be a CRONie in the future once my weight is stablilized. 

Edited by FrederickSebastian

I also wanted to add that I used a calculator online, and it says that at my goal weight, my basal metabolic rate is: 1365 calories and calories to maintain weight is 1638 calories... What does this mean for CR? I should eat 1600 calories a day, or perhaps less? If I eat less, won't I lose weight? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm just no expert on this and it's all new and confusing to me... 😕

I'm not sure I can answer any of your questions, but a few things come to mind in this thread. Being on the shorter side (5"2) may confer longevity benefits. It seems that a larger frame/height results in less longevity.  I do agree that going less than 1600 calories seems a little dicey. It would be hard to meet all of your nutritional requirements with fewer calories than that. You asked, "How do you know when you are on CR?" There are some markers that involve calculations with regards to caloric intake, but your blood work would provide indicators as would other metrics like blood pressure. You know you're in the right place when you get excited to grocery shop and buy healthy food.

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2019 at 5:22 PM, drewab said:

I'm not sure I can answer any of your questions, but a few things come to mind in this thread. Being on the shorter side (5"2) may confer longevity benefits. It seems that a larger frame/height results in less longevity.  I do agree that going less than 1600 calories seems a little dicey. It would be hard to meet all of your nutritional requirements with fewer calories than that. You asked, "How do you know when you are on CR?" There are some markers that involve calculations with regards to caloric intake, but your blood work would provide indicators as would other metrics like blood pressure. You know you're in the right place when you get excited to grocery shop and buy healthy food.

OK @drewab Thanks!