Biological age of humans reversed by years in groundbreaking study, scientists suggest

Gordo

Interesting.

But see also this:

"I believe the Horvath Epigenetic clock is likely measuring the chronological age of a cell’s progenitors, not their true biological age in terms of phenotype. That is why telomerase increases the Horvath age and why progeria does not. All we are able to conclude is that old people tend to have more cells that are old but that is not what drives aging. A better candidate is my stem cell/telomere erosion model leading to depletion, mutation, and senescence because it obeys all of Koch postulates wheras data mining obeys none."

https://www.rechargebiomedical.com/a-simpler-explanation-of-the-horvath-epigenetic-clock/

I'm too busy to dig into this right now, but I'd love to know what this "drug cocktail" was:

Human Growth Hormone, DHEA, Metformin:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02638-w

I saw this story, but didn't post it, because it seemed kinda rubbish, with super tiny number of subjects and iffy markers and outcomes. 

That said, I did find Fahy's self-experimentation sort of fascinating.

IMO, anything with human growth hormone, DHEA, IGF1, testosterone or any other anabolic substance is great to avoid -- such substances can be expected to reduce lifespan.   (More generally, I avoid supplements -- IMO, it's best to concentrate on diet and vigorous aerobic exercise.)

--  Saul

On 9/7/2019 at 3:23 PM, Saul said:

IMO, anything with human growth hormone, DHEA, IGF1, testosterone or any other anabolic substance is great to avoid -- such substances can be expected to reduce lifespan.   (More generally, I avoid supplements -- IMO, it's best to concentrate on diet and vigorous aerobic exercise.)

--  Saul

I actually agree with Saul on this one (although I'm open to new research).  Wasn't the growth hormone thing really big in the longevity communities like 1-2 DECADES ago until everyone found out it actually accelerates aging and cancer?  Funny how its back again all of a sudden.