mikeccolella

Metformin and growth hormone reverse aging in humans

Thanks Karl. I agree that it's disappointing the authors haven't tried the same cocktail in mice to see if it has similar beneficial effects on the thymus and/or epigenetic age, and most importantly, to see if there are any negative side effects of long-term GH treatment that impact longevity.

11 hours ago, kpfleger said:

I didn't read the paper directly. Did it present error bars on its Horvath clock averages (and cite the data and methodology by which they were computed)?

Here is the relevant figure on the Horvath epigenetic age (EA) measures from the Fahy paper:

Screenshot_20191011-082600_Chrome.jpg

Treatment was conducted in months 0-12, with the 18 month data collected six months after discontinuing treatment on a subset of participants.One thing I noticed from reading the methods section of the full text was that the researchers adjusted the dosage of the elements in the cocktail per individual subject every two months during the study based on blood samples to "maximize IGF‐1 and minimize insulin."

Personally I wouldn't be inclined to try to maximizing IGF-1 based on data from rodents and people. 

--Dean

7 hours ago, Sibiriak said:

Thanks Karl for those interesting observations.

Josh Mitteldorf  has an informative discussion of the study here.

Yes, I saw that he wrote an long post about it, didn't notice any discussion of FOXN1 nor of error bar methodology for small n use of methylation clocks (but I didn't read the whole thing carefully after seeing no discussion of FOXN1).