How many calories do I have to eat to maintain my future weight?

UserReqDel20200217

10 hours ago, Fernando Gabriel said:

I am 18 years old ,6 feet and 126 lbs ,my goal is 95 lbs!

Fernando Gabriel, are you joking? If so, that's all right.

Otherwise, you are targeting a BMI of 13 kgm-2. That means to get sick and probably die, as discussed in other threads. It has nothing to do with longevity, rather it is the opposite.

Bottom line, if you are being serious, then you have strong anorexic inclinations and need medical counsel ASAP.

And this is a forum on CR and longevity, not a forum for advise to suicidal persons.

3 minutes ago, mccoy said:

Fernando Gabriel, are you joking? If so, that's all right.

Otherwise, you are targeting a BMI of 13 kgm-2. That means to get sick and probably die, as discussed in other threads. It has nothing to do with longevity, rather it is the opposite.

Bottom line, if you are being serious, then you have strong anorexic inclinations and need medical counsel ASAP.

And this is a forum on CR and longevity, not a forum for advise to suicidal persons.

I arrived at BMI 13 in January and I didn't die!

1 minute ago, Fernando Gabriel said:

I arrived at BMI 13 in January and I didn't die!

We don't know your history precisely, but I bet someone rescued you from death. Now you want to try it again. It is a case of suicidal behaviour by mental fixation on attaining a starvation state, called anorexia nervosa. You are 18, no more a young boy, you should now be a man and take responsibility and fly away from those destructive tendencies.

14 minutes ago, mccoy said:

We don't know your history precisely, but I bet someone rescued you from death. Now you want to try it again. It is a case of suicidal behaviour by mental fixation on attaining a starvation state, called anorexia nervosa. You are 18, no more a young boy, you should now be a man and take responsibility and fly away from those destructive tendencies.

Before anorexia I had 120 pounds of muscle mass now I have 107 or 108 so I won't die!

Edited by Fernando Gabriel

3 hours ago, Fernando Gabriel said:

Before anorexia I had 120 pounds of muscle mass now I have 107 or 108 so I won't die!

This isn't a joke. People actually die from starving themselves. The fact that you didn't die at BMI 13 before doesn't mean it won't happen if you do it again. Even if it doesn't kill you, this can cause serious health problems (e.g. heart rhythm irregularities, kidney problems, etc). Some people feel perfectly fine until something happens and they end up in the hospital with permanent damage (or worse) because they've been starving themselves for so long.

Anorexia is pretty hard for most people to understand, its not just wrong thinking, but a severe mental illness that requires intensive treatment and this forum is probably not a great place to get help.  That said, there is some interesting active research in this area that you may benefit from: https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/anorexia

Anorexics do not age well from what I've seen, expect severe bone issues, fractures, and osteoporosis.  In CR circles, many used to think "the more CR the better" but this has been proven false.  Fontana talked about this in a recent lecture you may be interested in:

13:44 Talks about calorie restriction studies in primates

25:30 talks about CALERIE study in humans 29:02 specifically mentions the CR Society and shows a before/after pic and biomarkers of one member

36:55 talks about the importance of increasing adiponectin and especially the importance of reduced core body temperature as a biomarker for longevity

38:00 skeletal muscle profile on CR, importance of downregulation of IGF-1

43:40 Side effects of chronic severe CR - how to know if you are overdoing CR

44:30 It is NOT TRUE that the more CR the better. Talks about study showing how 40% CR did not result in increased longevity for 2/3rds of the subtypes of mice tested. 20% CR is optimal for many strains of mice.  Biomarkers are key for determining what the optimal CR level is.   You must have sufficient energy to promote longevity.

46:15 Used to think it was just about the calories, but now we know that is NOT true.  Composition of diet is important, meal timing is important - CR with eating all day does not result in longevity in mice (50:00)

51:10 Discusses ongoing human intermittent fasting clinical trial

53:40 Importance of low protein / methionine restriction for longevity independent of CR (blocks tumor development)

59:25 You should eat around 10% protein ("a calorie is not a calorie", "stay away from low carb or ketogenic diets")

1:04:20 Talks about the gut microbiome.  Diet reliably and rapidly changes the gut microbiome, protein intake and fiber are key, the more diversity of vegetables you eat the better your gut microbiome, which results in reduced inflamation (related to short chain fatty acids). Eat legumes, whole grains, and lots of vegetables.

1:10:50 Your gut microbiome impacts your physiologic response to CR

1:13:00 Describes other pieces of the health/longevity puzzle he will talk about in a future lecture: exercise, breathing and rate of respiration, sleep, meditation, phytochemicals, cognitive training

1:18:00 Future of medicine is prevention.  Reducing mental stress, reducing sedentary lifestyle, reducing excessive calorie intake, and eliminating poor diets are key.