How to wean into a cr diet

FrederickSebastian

Hi all,

I would like to wean into a cr diet asap but am currently fasting for a month for weight loss... how should I begin to wean into a cr diet after a fast??

In most cases, people would be weaning on from 2000+ calories a day but I would be weaning on from a month of zero after being 5'2" and 200+ lbs for years eating 2000+ calories per day...

My goal is longevity and I'd rather take it slow so as not to mess it up but how slow should I go and what's a good calorie target for the beginning of the year... I say this because I know going cr cold Turkey will actually DECREASE longevity!!

Any and all help would be appreciated!!

Fred.

This seems contradictory. You seem to understand that too much calorie restriction too fast decreases longevity. But a month long fast is calorie restriction in the extreme.

I'm pro-fasting, but I think weaning from 2000 calories a day is the much gentler path here.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it here too.

@Thomas G I read your post in another thread and I'm wondering: what went wrong in your fast that caused you to stop. I have fasted so many times and NEVER felt ANY different with the exception of mild hunger when I smelled food and extreme boredom. I only felt sick one time when I fasted, which was, oddly enough, on my most recent fast after I decided to sneak in a green tea that upset my stomach and made me nauseous.

I truly appreciate the video you posted and it's nice to learn that you're pro-fasting. Every time I fast I feel so much better. I sometimes secretly wish I could be on a permanent fast for life. It makes me feel amazing! Mental clarity, calm alertness and improved mood are among my favorite feelings I get when fasting. I honestly don't know why fasting works so easily for some people and others have such problems with it. I would have never imagined so many people would have died so quick from fasting as said in the video. I have watched a woman do a 120-day fast and read about a man who fasted for over a year and due to my experience fasting, never feeling sick was very driven to start a fast immediately.

This video scares me. Really makes me think twice about fasting and certainly supplementing with electrolytes and a multivitamin while fasting. I don't wanna die and honestly was never worried about it until I watched the video and saw how quickly and unexpectedly people died. I could go JUST LIKE THAT with NO WARNING.

While I want to believe that I can listen to my body and figure out if anything crazy will happen, I don't know if that's true. I will certainly be researching as much as I can over the next 6 months until I find out if fasting is a healthy option for me. I have planned a 30-day fast for years now, my longest fast yet, mid-year 2020 from June 20, 2020-July 20, 2020. I REALLY wanna do this and I know it probably seems like such a slap in the face to you after your taking the time to post the video and having a genuine concern for my health, but I still may go ahead and do it.

I can promise you, however, that I will be much more educated and ready for a fast of this length by then, if and when, I do decide to do it. You say you're pro-fasting so I just thought I'd share. I would look forward to chatting with you once a month or so, if you'd like, when I post what I have read in my research about fasting and what I have seen in practice by other members of the water fasting group I am a member of on facebook. Your input, more than anyones, would be greatly appreciated. You seem on the cautious side, and it would be a shame if anything serious ever did happen to me just because I want to go through what some people claim "cleanses your system".

If you decide to fast again, I wish you best of luck. I have done it so many times I have lost count like it's nothing and never felt different. I hope you can find a way to fast without adverse health effects and feeling sick. Fasting can be magical and I hope you find a way to experience what I have through fasting. And, if, after all fasting is not all that healthy or not all that, I hope for both our sakes, we both stop before it's too late!

All the best!

Fred

I'm not really sure what is going on with my body when I am fasting. The fasts all seemed reasonably short for me, I was mainly doing five day water only fasts.

Part of it might be that I was eating calorie restricted before the fast.

But the truth is I don't really know because I wasn't medically supervised. I wasn't getting my blood drawn. I bet if I had, they would be able to pinpoint what the issue was.

The fast that was the absolute worst for me was one where I was trying to be deliberate about drinking a lot of water. I think that may have really done a number on my electrolytes.

When I fast even a day or two I start getting light headed and dizzy when I stand up. Even on normal CR days I get that a little bit.

I would like to do a fast again soon. In fact I was thinking about doing one later this week just for three days. But I probably should make an appointment with a doctor and talk to them about it first.

For the last couple of years I've cut my fasts down to three days because it isn't until the fourth day that I start to go downhill. By day five I feel downright sick, like I'm fighting off the flu or something. My head gets foggy and I'm not able to be as productive as I need to be.

@Thomas G It's a shame fasting can come so easy to some people and be so difficult for others. I'm glad to hear you're going to give fasting another go as I feel like fasting has worked miracles for me. If all you can handle is 3-5 days then so be it. If you're body's telling you no then why fight it. I've done 20-day fasts but honestly don't see what the big deal is. If someone can only handle 3-5 days at a time, that is just as impressive if that's what they're body is telling them is enough. If you're interested, I'm going to start a video diary on youtube early next year and start the year eating 2000 calories per day then cut the diet by 20 calories a week until I have reached a point that I think is healthy. I hope you'll watch it. I'm going to fast for 12 hours twice a day (eating at 8:00AM and 8:00PM). The CR Way book suggests eating a large breakfast, moderate lunch and no dinner, fasting for a major portion of the day. I feel like ANYONE can do this type of fasting, and once I reach my goal calories per day, I will switch to this method for optimal health. May I ask you: Do you fast for a portion of the day or only fast separately, for days at a time. It is not hard for me to call off food for 10 days all together but fasting every day consistently as an everyday practice is something different entirely that I need to get used to.