David Sinclair: "Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don't Have To" | Talks at Google

After watching the Google Talk, a few things to note...

Sinclair's promotion of various compounds -- most recently NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide) -- have been criticized:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/beyond-resveratrol-the-anti-aging-nad-fad/

Sinclair seems to endorse regular fasting, but makes no references to calorie restriction per se. Unfortunate.

Sinclair's wikipedia entry is insightful. It should be a "pre-read" before investing in his new hardcover.

17 hours ago, KHashmi317 said:

Sinclair pub'd what I think is his first popular book: 

Lifespan: Why We Age―and Why We Don't Have To

(sept 2019)

A preview is here:

Sinclair gave the annual talk on aging at the University of Rochester at the end of the Spring term in the bio department last year.  I think that i posted a note about it.

--  Saul

P.S.: He was pushing NMN.  But, also, he did indicate that he's practicing Calorie Restriction.

Edited by Saul
Add some info

The use of NMN, Metformin, etc. by LEists  is not new. In any case, several of the YouTube comments noted Sinclair looks young for his age (50/51).

A brief overview of his personal molecule and fasting/diet regimen was presented in this 11 min video (edited down from the 2hr Joe Rogan 2019 interview):

This book has been repeatedly discussed in various threads around here. As I've said before, I've read the book (along with other commenters here), and was not super impressed. Sinclair has a tendency to jump the gun and let his enthusiasm get ahead of the evidence. I'm afraid NMN will transpire to be another hype that doesn't live up to the billing. Odd to see it resurrected here, but maybe if you haven't read the book these clips can be interesting.

6 hours ago, TomBAvoider said:

This book has been repeatedly discussed in various threads around here. As I've said before, I've read the book (along with other commenters here), and was not super impressed. Sinclair has a tendency to jump the gun and let his enthusiasm get ahead of the evidence. I'm afraid NMN will transpire to be another hype that doesn't live up to the billing. Odd to see it resurrected here, but maybe if you haven't read the book these clips can be interesting.

I rarely read entire books anymore (except maybe some novels, and many in audiobook format).  There are way too many interesting  books, and putting in the time for even a few means less "investigative"  time for other topics. Also books have sort of "sunk cost" effect. Even if you borrow them from the library,  time sunk in reading can psychologize you to accept their viewpoints.  There are ways to have your cake, though: Many of the major pop-sci books have summary articles in various pop-sci mags (Sci Am, New Sci, etc). And then there are the myriad podcasts and YouTube book promos (Google, etc) that distill the bottomline into PP slides and bullet points.

I do think that video (and audio) can add to (or subtract from) whatever the author is selling or pushing ... shaky voice or nervous presentation might indicate he isn't all that confident in his arguments.

.... Back to Sinclair ... I actually watched the entire 2hr Joe Rogan interview (sept 2019). The strategies Sinclair suggests (practices himself) in supplementing (Resv., NMN, Met, etc) seem quite complicated ... timing, with or w/o meal, with or w/o protein, fat. Also, alternating heavy exercise days with supplement days. Maybe the "hobbying" aspect is fun for some. Still, the molecules are highly experimental, and $$$. 

Also -- and I noted this before on the List -- are the synergistic effects of CR and molecule supplementation -- unknown at best, risky at worst . 

Edited by KHashmi317

On 1/13/2020 at 8:46 PM, DHL said:

The only person that benefits what from Sinclair’s is Sinclair, his bank account.

The wiki entry notes the buyout of his company: "Sirtris went public in 2007 and was subsequently purchased and made a subsidiary of GlaxoSmithKline in 2008 for $720 million."

I hope he put some of that $$ into good use. 

Problems with LE "companies" are:

--no clear vision/direction (biology is really hard stuff ... those molecular pathways, etc. ... yikes!!)

--high turnover rate (e.g., "At the end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018, Calico lost two top scientists; in December 2017 Hal Barron, its head of R&D, left for GlaxoSmithKline, and in March 2018 Daphne Koller, who was leading their AI efforts, left to pursue a venture in applying machine learning techniques to drug design.")

--sensitivity to markets and VC schema (“Grow fast, lose money, go public, get rich. That’s the model.”
― Dan Lyons, Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble)

--etc. (much more ...!!)

A few thoughts of Sinclair and his use of Shannon's information theory (I haven't read the book; only going by the Google talk)....

Sinclair uses CDs as examples of information carriers. First, that the music signal can be reconstructed if you use enough samples (based on highest freq. in the audio signal). Second, that CDs can get scratched, but may be re-polished to make them workable. 

The audio fidelity of CDs is matter of huge debate in the high-end audiophile world. Many claim vinyl LPs sound better despite specs (measurements) being "worse". 

Also, and even as metaphor, "equating" biological information to digital (signal) information is pretty big stretch. I hate to use yet another Star Trek example, but ... from episode The Ultimate Computer (1968)... Mr Spock's logic prevails, of course ;)

KIRK: Have you located the malfunction, Doctor? 
DAYSTROM: As I suspected, it is not a malfunction. M-5 was merely shutting down power to areas of the ship that do not require it. 
Decks four and six are living quarters, are they not? 
KIRK: Yes, that's correct. 
DAYSTROM: And currently unoccupied. 
SPOCK: I am not familiar with these instruments, Doctor. You are using an entirely new type of control mechanism. However, it appears to me this unit is drawing more power than before. 
DAYSTROM: Quite right. As the unit is called upon to do more work, it pulls more power to enable it to do what is required of it, just as the human body draws more energy to run than to stand still. 
SPOCK: Doctor, this unit is not a human body. The computer can process information, but only the information which is put into it. 
KIRK: Granted, it can work a thousand, a million times faster than the human brain, but it can't make a value judgment. It hasn't intuition. It can't think. 
DAYSTROM: Can't you understand? The multitronic unit is a revolution in computer science. I designed the duotronic elements used in your ship right now, and I know they are as archaic as dinosaurs compared to the M-5. A whole new approach. 

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/53.htm

On 1/15/2020 at 10:13 AM, KHashmi316 said:

... The audio fidelity of CDs is matter of huge debate in the high-end audiophile world. Many claim vinyl LPs sound better despite specs (measurements) being "worse". ...

There may still be a debate, but it doesn't meant that those "high-end audiophiles" know what they are talking about, or understand physics and human hearing.

Ignorance and bias are a really good thing for "high end audiophile" manufacturers.

• 3 years later...

Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2023 Jan;104:104825.
doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2022.104825. Epub 2022 Sep 26.
A science-based review of the world's best-selling book on aging
Charles Brenner
PMID: 36183524 PMCID: PMC9669175 DOI: 10.1016/j.archger.2022.104825
Free PMC article
No abstract available
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9669175/
"Do sirtuins extend lifespan in yeast, invertebrates and vertebrates? Has Sinclair discovered sirtuin activators? Based on 25 years of work by academic and industrial investigators, the clear answer to both questions is no (Brenner, 2022b).
Whereas Lifespan claims that sirtuins are dominantly acting longevity genes from yeast to humans (Sinclair and LaPlante, 2019), analysis of the work reveals that in yeast, sirtuin genes help 1 in 5 million cells live longer in one model of aging whereas they shorten lifespan for the entire culture (Brenner, 2022b). Early reports of sirtuins extending lifespan in invertebrates could not be independently replicated. In 2011, researchers from 7 institutions published together that sirtuin genes do not extend lifespan in worms or flies (Burnett et al., 2011). We learned in 2016 that, just as it does in yeast, the fly sirtuin gene antagonizes lifespan extension in conditions of dietary restriction (Slade and Staveley, 2016). While all the positive results made global headlines and are described in Lifespan, the negative results have not been amplified by mass media."

Thanks Alan,

while I was never curious to read Sinclair's book this quote:

The latter statements were particularly shocking because
one of the drugs used to lower biomarkers of aging was growth hormone, which is clearly
defined by genetics as a pro-aging molecule (Bartke, 2021).

complements my opinion that resveratrol, sirtuins, "aging as desease" and so on is just a part of rethorical traps used to build and promote "health and wellness" industry.

As long as I see something from the list of buzzwords - I am looking on time of publication of a book or article. Even useful and no doubt scientific texts sometimes do have some reference to the concepts created in zeroes to promote the industry mentioned. But those from zeroes had an excuse IMHO, we do know a lot more novadays on the topic itself and about the industry shape, things were less clear in zeroes. Also it is funny sometimes to hear in podcasts references to these things, they act as a cold shower and require to switch back on careful attention while being listening to them))

I personally think that any "hacking style" attempt to create a wide-coverage drug that should act on one of the cell's "crossroads" that involved not as one and only switch/flux mediator will never work (unless we will learn how to act in non-linear ways, with nanobots or something hard to imagine now), energy/matter flux is too important so Mother Nature created backup routes, rate limiting factors, reverse control loops, sometimes completely alternative ways of work (e.g. a possibility to switch body into kethosys is a miracle itself) to let the whole more chances to survive. And that is the reason e.g. for well-known "rapa regimen design issues" and other similar things.

Thats all is IMHO offcourse.

Br,

Igor

Edited by IgorF

• 8 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 2:05 AM, IgorF said:

Thanks Alan,

Ditto here. THX AL.

I haven't kept up with my own thread. 

Yeah, Sinclair's proposals are not going to very effective in the end, I'm afraid. True LE is still careful, lifetime CR. It's hard work. Not just popping pills 😉