Intermittent Fasting and green tea...

FrederickSebastian

Right now, I am doing an 8:00AM and 8:00PM meal for 12 hours intermittent fasting which is recommended in the book "The CR Way"... My question is: does having a pot of loose leaf green tea (which is zero calories) or a few cups of matcha tea (which is very low calories (under 10)) count as spiking my glucose or will I be safe? Will drinking this break my intermittent fast?

23 hours ago, FrederickSebastian said:

Right now, I am doing an 8:00AM and 8:00PM meal for 12 hours intermittent fasting which is recommended in the book "The CR Way"... My question is: does having a pot of loose leaf green tea (which is zero calories) or a few cups of matcha tea (which is very low calories (under 10)) count as spiking my glucose or will I be safe?

Pure tea without sweeteners will hardly increase your blood sugar by 1 mg/dL. You can experiment that anyway, it may even decrease your BS, for what we know.

• 2 months later...

@Ron Put... I don't understand all the terms in the paper you sent me a link to... I am guessing "inducing autophagy, which is the main reason for intermittent fasting" means that drinking coffee will aide in what intermittent fasting seeks to accomplish? The graphs show that the more caffeine in the coffee (from what I see) the more of an effect it had on the mice... Am I right? I'm so confused... I don't understand all the terms in the paper... 😕

12 hours ago, FrederickSebastian said:

@Ron Put... I am guessing "inducing autophagy, which is the main reason for intermittent fasting" means that drinking coffee will aide in what intermittent fasting seeks to accomplish?...😕

Hi, Frederick. Yep, the bottom line is, coffee appears to induce the recycling of compromised cells, thus it's fine to have coffee while fasting.

I personally eat between noon and about 7-8 in the evening, but drink my 2.5 cups of French press plain black coffee in the morning.  I am also a fast metabolizer of caffeine according to 23andme thus coffee is more beneficial to me than to people who are not fast metabolizers.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/for-coffee-drinkers-the-buzz-may-be-in-your-genes/