Edited

Mechanism

• Mechanism changed the title to Sat 4/11/20 Hangout meeting ( longstanding members, PM me for invite link)

Mechanism,  I'm curious, did any of the options you looked at offer true end-to-end encryption? (Zoom and Google  do not.).

Do any allow more or less anonymous participation?   When you sign in with a Google-related account,  you provide all your acct. profile information.

(I'm not, btw,  a big fan of Google from the social/political standpoint.  This new Google/Apple app for contact tracing looks like another leap forward in the headlong rush toward  mass surveiillance.)

Apparently, there is no way to test you mic before the meeting, although you can test the loudspeakers. The camera is tested by seeing your own image when you connect. There are a few available settings. I'll make sure my audio extensions are in order, that's all I can think about.

I definitely enjoyed the meeting and talking in person with forum members. Also, I was favourably impressed by the hangouts functionality, video and audio were pretty good, considering that the conversation spanned more than half the globe (from California to Siberia).