Bone density vs quality

Saw this at MedXpress:   Is vitamin K the secret key to bone strength?   https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-vitamin-secret-key-bone-strength.html

Some highlights

after seeing reduced bone strength but unchanged bone density in mice whose gut microbiomes had been modified 

[Combing] the bone strength literature to identify the nutrient that might have been lost, Hernandez found that vitamin K had often been associated with fracture risk, but not bone density.

Most of the vitamin K in our diet comes from green vegetables, but the gut bacteria synthesize a different form of it, Shea said. It's this form of vitamin K that could be affecting bone strength, although the exact mechanism is yet to be determined.

"Right now, a lot of treatments for osteoporosis focus on improving bone mineral density, but there are not a lot of ways to improve bone matrix quality," he said. "What if we could change the gut microbiome so it makes more vitamin K, which could give people those benefits without having to eat more kale or take a regular vitamin supplement?"

Cory

8 hours ago, corybroo said:

Saw this at MedXpress:   Is vitamin K the secret key to bone strength?   https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-vitamin-secret-key-bone-strength.html

Some highlights

after seeing reduced bone strength but unchanged bone density in mice whose gut microbiomes had been modified 

[Combing] the bone strength literature to identify the nutrient that might have been lost, Hernandez found that vitamin K had often been associated with fracture risk, but not bone density....

You might want to check out the K2 the suggestions here.

Funny enough, I did a biome test with the now defunct Ubiome and the report showed that my gut is a major producer of vitamin K, at least compared to their population sample.  Who knows if this is right, based on how new the science is and also on Ubiome's practices, butI take K (MK7 and MK4) daily nowadays.

Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in "biome tests" - from what I've seen the results are completely arbitrary and not replicated. One day we might have accurate tests, but I don't think that day has arrived as yet. YMMV. Here's an interesting article:

https://microbeformulas.com/blogs/microbe-formulas/are-gut-microbiome-tests-accurate-or-worth-it

Edited by TomBAvoider