Will it be possible to starve to death in the technology of immortality?

gombo2

17 hours ago, drewab said:

Eventually there will be the heat death of the universe, so it appears that immortality isn't even really a thing. 

Unless we or some other intelligent entity knows or can figure out a way to create new universe(s) and get us into them. While that seems a bit crazy, you could argue that it’s actually quite likely an intelligence of some kind created our current universe so it’s not hard to imagine that happening again.

7 hours ago, Gordo said:

... While that seems a bit crazy, you could argue that it’s actually quite likely an intelligence of some kind created our current universe so it’s not hard to imagine that happening again.

Since it will kind of ran against the laws of physics as currently understood and since it is not supported by any evidence and it cannot be falsified, it is definitely close to crazy :)

I'd say that the Greeks make for a better story, claiming that everything in the universe was created from the lesbian relationship between Gaea and Chaos....  Come to think of it, the Abramics also have a homosexual thread, as when Yahweh, a male, got bored, he first came up with Adam as a "companion" (well, things get kind of confused between Genesis I and Genesis II...).  Of course, once Adam was unfaithful with Eve, the whole happy threesome thing came crashing.... 

3 hours ago, Ron Put said:

'against the laws of physic' 'not supported by any evidence'

Which law of physics is it again that supports the entire universe springing out of nothing?  You know, that crazy talk consensus view of astrophysicists on "the beginning" of our universe.

We humans are so arrogant! These smarty pants scientists thought they had it all figured out with Newtonian physics then quantum weirdness came along. We don’t even know what matter is. It ain’t what Newton thought that’s for damn sure. It could all just be a big delusion and it’s basically All consciousness whatever that would mean!  I’m with Plato and his cave allegory for the most part

LOL, always back to "god is in the gaps...". :)

No, we don't know if the Big Bang was a singularity which somehow transferred to an inflationary state.  But give us a break, it's been barely three centuries during which scientific knowledge was allowed to flourish, and look where we are!  We can see worlds on paper-thin screens, have video calls with people across the world and tinker with our DNA!

A good argument can be made that if it wasn't for Christian dogma taking over Europe and effectively destroying and suppressing knowledge, the world of science would be far, far ahead.  But things seem cyclical and significant geopolitical disruptions often lead to periods of intellectual dark ages.  It's almost a given that humanity will enter another one at some point.

And, Mike41, yes, that's how them science things work.  And yes, your brain creates the world you perceive, and it paints a picture of the "world" based on a very small part of our surroundings, which our senses perceive.  And that's OK.  I am grateful for it.  So is my dog.

Cheers.

The world of science. Sounds like scientism which is  Kind of like a religion. I do think for what it’s worth that there is something spiritual and the great spiritual teachers were not all crazy. Dr. David Bohm for example with his implicate and explicate order. The implicate is not generally sensed or experienced but it certainly exists as the underpinning of reality. So then truth may be something we can experience almost in a wholistic sense, but once we try to observe it or name it we end up in the conundrum of dualism.