Avoiding air pollution - do you think it's reasonable to just wear N99 masks everywhere now?

Like, thomas talhem has an amazing blog (and quora answers) on this - there is really no minimum safe dose of pollution, and you can see pollution spikes in even small amounts next to the road (as cars braking causes road dust to go into the air). The plume air quality sensor is great but it still doesn't capture ultrafines, which seem abundant near airports. Coronavirus kind of makes me glad that wearing masks everywhere will probably be forever-destigmatized/un-weird.

and american cities generally have air pollution levels below the WHO-I limits, but even then, they often have localized spikes.

Edited by InquilineKea

It depends whether your lungs are all right with that. AFAIK, the only disadvantage of higher protection masks is that you must exhert more effort to breathe, since there is a greater pressure drop (more suction required) caused by the filtering material. Probably, not ideal for running. Risk of emphysema? I don't know, but surely not advised to those who already have some breathing problems. 

Yeah, I don't like wearing them continually that much b/c of the increased resistance, but air pollution is so horrible for you it's worth the risk.

Exerting more effort to breathe might in fact be good for your lungs..

Edited by InquilineKea

• 1 year later...

HEI study in Europe finds evidence of health effects at lower levels of air pollution

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210925-hei.html

"The shape of the associations with natural cause mortality showed steeper slopes at lower exposures, with no evidence of concentrations below which no associations were found for PM2.5, BC, and NO2."

My thought:  Full vaccination against Covid-19 is of course number one.

Concerning all infectious diseases:  avoiding breathing what other people breathe out.  I've been doing that for decades, while not avoiding other people's company.  Mt reasoning:  The most dangerous creature to a human is another human.

Careful behavior works, without wearing masks and staying far away from others (although the latter has its pluses), I think is the way to go -- rather than rules that a subhuman is capable of following.

--  Saul

Commented on this topic years ago ... I think in a post regarding outdoor exercising and biking in urban areas. 

I've been using Respro pollution masks for  over 12 years, mostly for biking certain routes. Made a big difference years ago when local LA air was still polluted in spots [autos/regulations  have gotten cleaner since]. The mask does restrict breathing for heavier workouts -- not recommended.

The Respro mask has a filter that is purpose-built  for air pollution -- so it is different from N95 or medical masks. Also, the pollution mask has a check valve so you vent lung air out unfiltered, unimpeded. 

I don't like wearing masks -- esp. b/c of the restricted breathing issue ... gasping for air on, say, uphill grades is not fun. 

So ... best to  avoid polluted areas ... say, use back streets and limit to times when auto traffic runs light. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Saul said:

Slows breathing -- not a good thing.

Slower, deeper breaths might have some stress reducing and HR/BP lowering effects. As long as you're not changing your blood oxygenation though, I really doubt it matters. I wouldn't want to wear a mask while I sleep, but don't see any real concern when you're awake and can consciously adjust your respiratory rate if you feel any oxygen starvation.