Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gombo2

Olive oil can be healthier than wine

Recommended Posts

I read that wine prolongs the life of men by 3.8 years all ages and olive oil by 9.5 years in people aged 65 and over which is an incredible benefit if we take olive oil from childhood we would have about 40 years of benefit

Edited by gombo2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG! The predimed rears it’s ugly head once again. They cite it and repeatedly call the comparison group a low fat diet which it clearly was not. So ok olive oil is better than butter, salami, pepperoni or whatever the hell they were eating, but it was not low fat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mike41 said:

OMG! The predimed rears it’s ugly head once again. They cite it and repeatedly call the comparison group a low fat diet which it clearly was not. So ok olive oil is better than butter, salami, pepperoni or whatever the hell they were eating, but it was not low fat

Yep, the power of misleading news and advertising.... The headlines are stuck in people's heads and virtually everyone I know views olive oil as counteracting all the animal fats they eat, rather as a less harmful substitute.

For what it's worth, here is a comparison of olive oil consumption and CVD and stroke mortality for France, Greece, Italy and Spain:
 

182628030_ScreenShot2020-06-09at09_08_39.png.89fe950774e89b5b6699e8cf725aa20d.png

 

788644198_ScreenShot2020-06-09at09_00_55.png.2dfa96166d60507b3803a06482144f40.png

397165216_ScreenShot2020-06-09at09_02_11.png.4e07781fbb25415ff7cd9cd7532b24a8.png

821857424_ScreenShot2020-06-09at09_10_18.png.efa75959a04f7612e5b3a27534bcc34a.png

Olive Oil Consumption.png

Edited by Ron Put

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron Put said:

rather as a less harmful substitute.

That's the party line of Dr. Klemper, Dr. Mc Dougall, Dr Greger, many of the vegan doctors. The party line remains as it is, regardless of literature, even though the party line imposes to cherry pick the literature itself.

On the predimed study: after a few discussions and analysis of the study, we concurred that calling the control low-fat is a gross inaccuracy. The study is rather a comparison of diet with healthy fats versus a diet with more or less unhealthy fats.

 

Last but not least: 'olive oil' by no means is the same as  'high polyphenols extra-virgin olive oil'. The party line often keeps being confused about the distinction.

 

Edited by mccoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


mccoy, I don't generally follow party lines, In fact, I have a particular aversion to such things, as you may have glimpsed from some of my posts.  I consumed olive oil until fairly recently when I gradually changed my mind based on the preponderance of the available evidence.  I still use it when I end up in an Italian restaurant, although those are slowly disappearing as societal preferences are changing.

As I mentioned in the main thread, my lipid profile significantly improved after I dramatically reduced my consumption, so I am satisfied with my decision, but of course, YMMV.

It's not a matter of virgin vs non-virgin.  When I am in the Mediterranean my impression is that almost no self-respecting eateries will serve just plain "olive oil" as "virgin" seems to be a matter of both taste and pride.  It's not like places such as Russia or Eastern Europe. where the good stuff is much rarer and it was virtually non-existent little more than a decade ago.  But too many of the Greeks and the Italians still die of CVD, although not as many as the Russians or the Hungarians, for example.

There is a new study floating around, which as usual compares increased olive oil consumption in populations who normally consume mostly animal fat and highly processed vegetable oils, but I'll post it in the main olive oil thread so to keep things tidy around here.

Edited by Ron Put

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ron Put said:

But too many of the Greeks and the Italians still die of CVD, although not as many as the Russians or the Hungarians, for example.

You'll be surprised to know how many Italians eat low-quality EVOO, with few polyphenols, or sometimes they'll have to use seeds oil, because of economic reasons.

In the opinion of Michael Rae,  a long-time researcher of the matter, the preponderance of the literature strongly suggests a protective effect (in the right dosage). But individuality governs, so in your case the quantity and quality of the EVOO you ate might have had no beneficial, or slightly deleterious effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mccoy said:

You'll be surprised to know how many Italians eat low-quality EVOO, with few polyphenols, or sometimes they'll have to use seeds oil, because of economic reasons.

In the opinion of Michael Rae,  a long-time researcher of the matter, the preponderance of the literature strongly suggests a protective effect (in the right dosage). But individuality governs, so in your case the quantity and quality of the EVOO you ate might have had no beneficial, or slightly deleterious effects.

Again I’ll repeat. show me a study that compares a REAL low fat, high polyphenol plant based diet diet Vs. a similiar diet with added olive oil. There is none. So all we or Michael Rae can conclude is that olive oil is better than lard etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mike41 said:

. So all we or Michael Rae can conclude is that olive oil is better than lard etc.

So you  now admit we cannot conclude that moderate intake of high-polyphenol EVOO is  positively harmful in any way, as some have claimed.   That's a step forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sibiriak said:

So you  now admit we cannot conclude that moderate intake of high-polyphenol EVOO is  positively harmful in any way, as some have claimed.   That's a step forward.

Not at all do I admit that! How can I without a clinical trial? If two randomized groups of people were fed two exact same diets except for an addition of say several tbs of olive oil in one group and a reduction of the high polyphenol diet to accommodate the EVOO calories and compared to a corresponding group eating same exact diet with no added fats then we might learn something. Until that happens I would be concerned about endothelial function for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mike41 said:

How can I without a clinical trial?

How can you conclude moderate intake of EVOO is harmful in itself with trials?

Quote

I would be concerned about endothelial function

You've presented ZERO evidence that moderate  high-polyphenol EVOO intake  is harmful to endothelial function,  while ignoring the massive evidence that it is in fact improves endothelial function.

You ignore the dozens and dozens  of studies of EVOO which show positive effects on endothelial function (not to mention a whole host of other positive health effects),  while the single study you've cited doesn't even deal with EVOO at all! 

Edited by Sibiriak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×