Low blood pressure? Think again!

28 minutes ago, Mike41 said:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2766469

according to this study cardiovascular disease risk begins to increase significantly as SBP goes above 90!! Yes you read that right!

We must create stronger drugs for high blood pressure and we must leave everyone's pressure below 90/60 When I was 1.83 and 43 kg my pressure was 90/60 to have 80/50 I would need to reach 38 kg which without medication I could to kill easily in my opinion we have to zero the fat or muscle or make long fasts to starve

Edited by Fernando Gabriel

When my daughters were teenagers I was with them at the pediatrician and they did their BP and both of them had SBP in the 80’s and Iwas surprised and asked the doctor if that was too low. He said absolutely not and that it was very normal for their age and weight!

Interesting study, but it may be a "chicken and egg' thing, as increased calcium deposit may be part of the cause or a symptom. 

Also, blood pressure varies significantly between the sexes, with teenage girls generally having lower BP than boys of the same age, and older women (as in over 30s) generally developing higher blood pressure and surpassing men by the time they enter menopause. Yet women also generally outlive men, higher blood pressure and all. Then we have to also think about the correlation between BP and brain function.

I can't quickly find the specific studies I remember reading, but here is an overview which mentions such differences:

Women’s Wellness: Blood pressure, estrogen and menopause

And one more:

Sex Differences in Blood Pressure Trajectories Over the Life Course

Edited by Ron Put

ACC/AHA guidelines

Blood pressure categories in the new guideline are:

• Normal: Less than 120/80 mm Hg;
  • Elevated: Systolic between 120-129 and diastolic less than 80;
  • Stage 1: Systolic between 130-139 or diastolic between 80-89;
  • Stage 2: Systolic at least 140 or diastolic at least 90 mm Hg;
  • Hypertensive crisis: Systolic over 180 and/or diastolic over 120, with patients needing prompt changes in medication if there are no other indications of problems, or immediate hospitalization if there are signs of organ damage

Not sure what to make of the study?

58 minutes ago, Keliot said:

Low blood pressure is associated with accelerated brain aging due to the brain not getting enough nutrition. I forget the exact number

I believe systolic below 90 or diastolic below 60 is commonly considered hypotension.  I don't know but I'd expect it would be an issue if it was chronically below that level and would be less concerned if it dropped below that during a meditative trance.  If I take my BP first thing upon waking I'm typically 100/60 give or take a few points on each.  I don't sweat diastolic readings below 60 because it comes up as soon as I exert myself.

My blood pressure is usually around 90/60 for the past 18 years or so.

I don't see why it would be a problem if you aren't having any symptoms from it.

Maintaining life-long low blood pressure is likely to be a very good thing for people on CR and protective against hemorrhagic stroke (sometimes associated with very low cholesterol.)

I measured my fathers blood pressure: he's 65 years old and his BP is about 100/60. His total cholesterol is around 160. My sister also has a BP of about 100/60 and she's a couple years younger than me.

Even before CR mine was around the same: 100/60.

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, Matt said:

My blood pressure is usually around 90/60 for the past 18 years or so.

I don't see why it would be a problem if you aren't having any symptoms from it.

Maintaining life-long low blood pressure is likely to be a very good thing for people on CR and protective against hemorrhagic stroke (sometimes associated with very low cholesterol.)

I measured my fathers blood pressure: he's 65 years old and his BP is about 100/60. His total cholesterol is around 160. My sister also has a BP of about 100/60 and she's a couple years younger than me.

Even before CR mine was around the same: 100/60.

You may have hit the genetic lottery jackpot in this regard. Do you have unusual longevity in your family?

Another thought on the study: 

"Design, Setting, and Participants  A cohort of 1457 participants free of ASCVD from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis who were without dyslipidemia (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level ≥160 mg/dL or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level <40 mg/dL), diabetes (fasting glucose level ≥126 mg/dL), treatment for hyperlipidemia or diabetes, or current tobacco use, and had an SBP level between 90 and 129 mm Hg."

The LDL, HDL and fasting glucose cut off numbers are far from optimum and may impact various aspects of health, including the risk of the risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, independently of blood pressure.

1 hour ago, Ron Put said:

You may have hit the genetic lottery jackpot in this regard. Do you have unusual longevity in your family?

Another thought on the study: 

"Design, Setting, and Participants  A cohort of 1457 participants free of ASCVD from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis who were without dyslipidemia (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level ≥160 mg/dL or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level <40 mg/dL), diabetes (fasting glucose level ≥126 mg/dL), treatment for hyperlipidemia or diabetes, or current tobacco use, and had an SBP level between 90 and 129 mm Hg."

The LDL, HDL and fasting glucose cut off numbers are far from optimum and may impact various aspects of health, including the risk of the risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, independently of blood pressure.

But what makes a genetics look good are the habits in some cases my grandfather is 80 years old and only started having high blood pressure at 74 -77 years old and my grandmother of 82 years old at 78 years old and my father already has high blood pressure 40s or early my mother has normal pressure none of them was obese during their lives so I think my genetics is bad

Edited by Fernando Gabriel

My blood pressure runs between 100/60 down to 80/50. I have passed out more than once from LBP, so I have to be careful. Extended fasting is also EXTREMELY DANGEROUS when one has LBP - so be cautious. I once passed out during a 48-hour fast and was severely injured, so I wouldn't attempt that again.

Perhaps Longo's mimicked fast would be better for me; I will probably try it with close BP monitoring someday soon.