Sign in to follow this  
CJay

Blood Panel

Hello everyone, 

I am terrible at social media engagement but I do read your posts and appreciate everyone here. It seems like such a supportive community. 

I have a question I’m a little reticent to ask- I’m curious if anyone has persistently low levels of certain things on a general blood panel, or if this is a me problem? I also don’t really understand if it’s a problem. 

Ny urea nitrogen and creatinine is always low (idk if I spelled that right) and my sodium is usually between 131-133 while I think normal is considered 134.  Personally, I thought this could just be individual variability but some doctors are fine with them and others sound alarm bells and make me retake weekly panels (which is how I know the numbers are super consistent).  

Anyway- thanks for your input! 

CJ

12 hours ago, CJay said:

urea nitrogen and creatinine is always low

CR may lower creatinine levels, mine have certainly dropped to 0.6 as of the last test.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on this would have a better explanation.

But generally, creatinine levels tend to increase as we get older, so depending on how low yours are, I probably wouldn't fret much about it.  My doctor thinks 0.6 is actually good.

In fact, if you enter your creatinine level in this phenotypic age spreadsheet, you'll find that with lower creatinine, both your phenotypic and DNAm age numbers drop, as well as your predicted mortality score.  For what it's worth, of course :)

Edited by Ron Put

My cardiologist laughed at me when I told him I was concerned about low creatine on my blood test. He said nonsense low is good! He is a big promoter of Dean Ornish and plant based diets. He is himself a vegan.

1 hour ago, Mike41 said:

My cardiologist laughed at me when I told him I was concerned about low creatine on my blood test. He said nonsense low is good! He is a big promoter of Dean Ornish and plant based diets. He is himself a vegan.

That's wonderful that you have a plant-based cardiologist. Can I ask what led you to see one? Was there something specific that led to your referral or just a general desire to see one? I have a few things that are regularly low on my blood work, like white blood cells, testosterone, platelets, and neutrophil. I think it's probably okay that they are low, though I continue to keep an eye out should I change my stance on this.