Intermittent Fasting

FrederickSebastian

Hi,

I am wondering if someone who's 5'2" like myself could maintain a physique that would turn heads at the beach (lean/muscular, not too thin) while being on a 2,000 calorie diet M,W,F with feeding times at 8:00AM and 8:00PM (1,000 calories per meal) and a 800 calorie diet on T,R OMAD... still have not decided what I will do S,S...but might do either: a fast both days or 2,000 cal OMAD depending on how thin I become once I start CRON.

I know I have been on and off CRON several times over the years and my posts might get annoying but I'm trying to do what's right for myself without being too extreme/hopeful...

What is your opinion?

I know that you are on the short side, but I'm not sure that you'll take in enough calories to meet your goal. That said, if you are fairly inactive outside of weight training to build muscle, it might be possible. The only way to know for sure is to try it and find out - you would probably need a solid 12 months of this regime to properly evaluate it. Clinton on this forum is very ripped on only 2000 calories per day and same with Mccoy on a slightly larger amount at about 2500 calories per day. I personally consume a lot of calories but am very active and also have a high NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) level, so it's required to maintain a BMI between 20.5 - 21.0. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with two low-cal days (800 as you indicate) or something like a 36 hour weekly fast and still 'turn heads at the beach.'

I am going to guess that 2000 is probably a good start for someone 5'2" and then slowly go down a bit.

Clinton and mccoy can get away with the calories because they both have a high percentage of muscle mass and likely their metabolism is really good. Muscle mass also increases HGH production, if I recall.

Starting at 12 hours is also a good idea, try to add an hour a week until you get to 15-16 fasting hours.  Once you get used to it, it's actually rather easy, and you will find that consuming fewer calories is much easier too.

See this for intermittent fasting and muscle mass:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27737674/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another thing wrt Longos FMD and the idea that it has such powerful effects, consider that it is nothing more than what millions of people do all the time. It’s a weight loss diet! Why would we not have discovered these miraculous effects when this is something that Is so commonly done? Surely if it has all these amazing anti aging effects someone would have noticed it a long long time ago!

• 3 weeks later...

Increased frequency of intentional weight loss associated with reduced mortality: a prospective cohort analysis.Willis EA, Huang WY, Saint-Maurice PF, Leitzmann MF, Salerno EA, Matthews CE, Berndt SI.BMC Med. 2020 Sep 17;18(1):248. doi: 10.1186/s12916-020-01716-5.PMID

Thank you Al Pater you answered my question in the previous post. If this study is accurate it appears dieting DOES have positive effects which could be autophagy etc. related to FMD.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:38 AM, Mike41 said:

Another thing wrt Longos FMD and the idea that it has such powerful effects, consider that it is nothing more than what millions of people do all the time. It’s a weight loss diet! Why would we not have discovered these miraculous effects when this is something that Is so commonly done? Surely if it has all these amazing anti aging effects someone would have noticed it a long long time ago!

Actually, Longo's FMD is an engineered optimization which entails cycles of brief but drastic CR, followed by refeeding. The cycles can have different frequencies according to individual state of health, conditions, purposes.

I don't know if it is so common for people, barring the extremely obese, to keep dieting for months or years on a 750 kCals weight loss diet. Longo's FMD always requires a refeeding phase. one cycle every month seems to be the highest suggested frequency, and probably that is enough to adjust chronically some parameters, especially if the diet in-between FMDs is controlled.

Edited by mccoy

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Todd Allen said:

I think you are getting your hucksters confused, this sounds a bit more like Asprey than Longo.

Definitely so, the Fast-mimicking-diet revised by Asprey. If calories and protein are kept in the right range, it may legitimately constitute a sort of ketogenic FMD (on animal food, rather than plant-based)-