Sign in to follow this  
Todd Allen

whole genome sequencing

Anyone familiar with this service or similar offerings?

I'm thinking about ordering the 30x WGS for $299 plus one month of analysis for $20 and downloading my 100 GB of data for future analysis through whatever low cost options pop up.

It looks sufficiently legit and cost worthy to me but looking for others thoughts before I pull the trigger and then learn there were better options.
Edited by Todd Allen

I signed up with Nebula and have actually mentioned them numerous times here.

I was one of the very early customers and at the time they did not offer the whole genome product.  It is a reputable company with some great scientists on its roster.  But don't expect miracles, as most of the genome is either not studied, or largely irrelevant.  But it is a good deal and I am actually thinking of doing the whole genome thing soon.

1 hour ago, Ron Put said:

But don't expect miracles, as most of the genome is either not studied, or largely irrelevant.

I realize we don't know how to interpret most of it now but I like the idea of having my data and being able to check it whenever I read a paper studying genes. The non-coding DNA has been called junk but is now known to have functions such as coding for RNA.  Telomeres are also part of this junk.  I expect a lot more of it will become relevant with time.

I agree, which is why I first jumped on Nebula's bandwagon and will do the whole genome soon, too.  It's really the best value I've found.

Todd, did you ever sign up with Nebula Genomics? 

I decided to upgrade to the full 30x genome deal and sent the sample a few days ago.

Also, has anyone used Genetic Genie or another interpretive service to upload raw data?  My only experience is with Promethease.

Not yet.  I signed up for Nebula's spam mailings to see if there were any special offers or sales as well as with a couple other competitors.  Nebula has repeatedly made an offer for $500 off their package of 30x sequencing plus a lifetime membership for their analysis site but there has been no discount offered on just the 30x sequencing which I think is $299.  I'll likely do that by the end of the year and just go with one month of analysis at $20/month and download my data to use with whatever other analysis options I find. 

On 9/26/2020 at 5:20 PM, Ron Put said:

Also, has anyone used Genetic Genie or another interpretive service to upload raw data?  My only experience is with Promethease.

I've used https://codegen.eu with my 23andme data.  It's free so even if it is disappointing for additional insights gained on a full genome it might still be worth trying.

Edited by Todd Allen

In my case, two weeks after I paid $299 for the 30x full genome, I received an offer of $50 off from the 30x price :)  Ah, well....

I am not exactly sure what I'll do with the full genome data, but I have run into a number of studies mentioning segments that neither 23andme nor the partial Nebula sequencing covers, so we'll see.

I am also hoping that they still include the sequencing of oral cavity bacteria they sent me when they sequenced my sample over a year ago.