New drug (setmelanotide) that "shuts off hunger" granted breakthrough therapy status by FDA

Gordo

I stumbled across this today and thought it was interesting.  In trials so far they've seen really impressive results.  The initial target is people with rare genetic disorders, but supposedly the drug has been tested on obese people without the genetic disorders and it works well for them too.  

I was looking at it more from a perspective of potential use for longevity purposes.

Very interesting news, although the trials must be completed.

5 hours ago, TomBAvoider said:

And this promotes longevity how?

I guess, in people who have a morbid desire for food, do not have discipline and enough willpower, in people who are fast-gainers (high bodyweight setpoint) and so on.

Other very useful applications would be in hyperfagia associated to the use of some drugs like antipsychotics. I hope the news is not just hype, the trials are completed successfully, that depends obviously also from collateral effects.

Edited by mccoy

18 hours ago, TomBAvoider said:

I was looking at it more from a perspective of potential use for longevity purposes.

And this promotes longevity how?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Could potentially make CR a lot easier for anyone to do.

2) It could possibly be a BAT activator, I haven't dug into it enough to know that, but saw some comments about the drug that suggested this possibility.