Quantifying Biological Age: Blood Test #5 in 2020

Hah, interesting video, thanks. There was a discussion here about the Levine phenotypic age model a while back.

My experience with flaxseed is very different:  I eat close to 30g of flaxseed per day and have done it for over a year now.  My CRP was 0.02 in August and my creatinine was 0.6.  My rather large flaxseed intake certainly doesn't seem to be causing an adverse effect.

Congratulations Mike for your steadfastness in blood tests, #5 in 2020 means you have a blood sample taken every other month probably. That sure is the best way to monitor individual responses to changes in diet and lifestyle.

I wish it were possible to carry out those tests without inserting a needle in the vein though. AFAIK, only a few parameters are available for blood extracted from a finger, but maybe I'm wrong.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, mccoy said:

I wish it were possible to carry out those tests without inserting a needle in the vein though. AFAIK, only a few parameters are available for blood extracted from a finger, but maybe I'm wrong.

Haha, I am actually more scared by the idea of finger prick than by an occasional thin needle 😄 This is the reason why I haven't been checking my glucose at home, even though I am curious.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:49 AM, Mike Lustgarten said:

For me, flax and coconut butter seem to have opposing effects on my CRP, so it will be interesting to see how keeping the flax in, but adding more coconut butter will affect it.

Mike, how is your fiber intake?  I wonder if it has an effect?  Over the last year, mine has averaged about 73g per day, according to Cronometer. 

My fat intake is about 82g per day, with most of the saturated fat from raw cacao nibs, flax, and nuts (the cholesterol and transfats are from when I eat at restaurants and are best approximations of meals from among the Cronometer database items).

579747485_ScreenShot2020-11-10at11_51_50.png.c26602ce047e0d79174f91e75c645c79.png

Edited by Ron Put

Hey Ron Put, nice job on your fiber intake! For the last dietary period that corresponded to this blood test, my average fiber intake was 97g on 2650 cals/day. That many calories may not seem like CR, but my ad lib intake is ~2800/day, which puts me at 5% restriction. Prior to this blood test, my average calorie intake was ~2550 for 2020, so I'm chronically 5-10% CR.

Hah, 97g of fiber is impressive!

I just looked at the average calories for the past year and I am at just about 1950 per day, with a deficit of 174, according to Cronometer.  My weight is pretty much the same over the period, fluctuating about 5lbs, with a BMI of between 18.5 and 19.

I guess I'll have to go for another blood test soon and see how things look.