Hi all,

lately my fasting (early morning) blood glucose is drifting toward higher values, not prediabetic but between 90 and 100 mg/dL. Now, I wouldn't like to cut drastically on carbs, since I don't like the idea to renounce healthy and micronutrient-rich foods like fresh fruit and whole grain cereals. I also confess I like to add dark honey to my hot cacao beverage. Exercise alone is not cutting it. There may be other factors at work like poor sleep and so on, the result is the above drifting though.

So, after discarding the idea of taking metformin, mainly due to the fact that it has some proven detrimental effects upon athletic performance (and muscle hypertrophy), pending the results of the TAME study, I'm thinking about berberine, a supplement which has been extensively studied, seems not to exhibit the detrimental effects of metformin on respiratory fitness and muscle hypertrophy, with the drawback that its long time effects have not been studied. 

My question: in this forum I found berberine mentioned only in the context of cold exposure. Is anyone using it to lower blood glucose concentration, in which amount, which brands?

McCoy I am currently using it experimentally for ldl lowering. I considered niacin but it tends to raise insulin resistance which is curious considering it also lowers triglycerides?? My numbers for fasting glucose are similar to yours even with a bmi of 22 and at least two hours of brisk walking along with almost daily resistance exercise splitting upper and lower body workouts so they are on different days. I also never sit for more than 45 minutes continuously. I have FH and take maximum Crestor which is the most powerful statin and my ldl is still 105. I’d like to get it down. I also eat a plant based diet and very low fat. That’s a lot of carbs, but of course these are all high Fibre Whole Foods. My post prandial is always below 120 within an hour, so that is not a problem, but the fasting level should be lower. Crestor has a tendency to raise insulin resistance, so that may be another factor. I hate taking substances that don’t have any long term clinical trials. So I’m only taking 1000mg eod and hoping to at least nudge my ldl down to 90 or so. I’ve tried policosanol and plant sterols both of which were useless. The brand is AOR. Consumer labs has not done a test on berberine unfortunately, but the company has Michael Rae blessings and so I trust it. I know I taunt MR occasionally but I do respect him. We are all human and I admire his tenacity, but no one always gets it right including Michael.

Edited by Mike41

Thanks Mike, I'm still pondering the issue, a drawback is that the American brands are usually not available here and direct orders get stuck at the custom. Pretty interesting that such a supplement can lower both blood glucose and LDL. I also tend not to have large postprandial spikes, but I have to watch my glycated hemoglobin. 

Hi Mccoy!

Take care -- elevated serum glucose and elevated LDL can be a sign of approaching metabolic syndrome, which, uncontrolled, might lead to diabetes.

--  Saul

19 hours ago, mccoy said:

Thanks Mike, I'm still pondering the issue, a drawback is that the American brands are usually not available here and direct orders get stuck at the custom. Pretty interesting that such a supplement can lower both blood glucose and LDL. I also tend not to have large postprandial spikes, but I have to watch my glycated hemoglobin. 

You might try cinnamon. A 1/2 teaspoon with meals has some decent evidence based on consumerlabs reviews. They tested a bunch for coumarin which is a toxic substance that can reach scary levels in some brands. However if you stick with Ceylon cinnamon like frontiers organic brand your safe. There’s had .1 mg per gram of coumarin whereas simply organic cinnamon brand had 6.8 mg per gram which was close to the limit and a tsp is about 1.7 gms not something I would want to take,

18 hours ago, Saul said:

Hi Mccoy!

Take care -- elevated serum glucose and elevated LDL can be a sign of approaching metabolic syndrome, which, uncontrolled, might lead to diabetes.

--  Saul

Hi Saul, thank you, no way I'm going to let metabolic syndrome approach, get behind me Satan!

On 11/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, Mike41 said:

You might try cinnamon. A 1/2 teaspoon with meals has some decent evidence based on consumerlabs reviews. They tested a bunch for coumarin which is a toxic substance that can reach scary levels in some brands. However if you stick with Ceylon cinnamon like frontiers organic brand your safe. There’s had .1 mg per gram of coumarin whereas simply organic cinnamon brand had 6.8 mg per gram which was close to the limit and a tsp is about 1.7 gms not something I would want to take,

Thanks for reminding me about cinnamon, that's another issue, finding a reliable source of low-coumarin Ceylon cinnamon, outside the USA.

15 hours ago, mccoy said:

Thanks for reminding me about cinnamon, that's another issue, finding a reliable source of low-coumarin Ceylon cinnamon, outside the USA.

I’m surprised Amazon isn’t shipping from warehouses in Italy

iHerb ( my main source for supplements etc.)   has the Frontiers brand of Ceylon Cinnamon Mike mentioned,  and they appear to ship to Italy.     

Edited by Sibiriak