Sign in to follow this  
DHL

Gaining weight as you age might be the real secret...

Not for longtime calorie restrictors.  I'm 81.5, and on stricter CR -- and lower weight -- then I was in my 60s.  And in perfect health,

--  Saul

On 2/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, DHL said:

Maybe the theory of CR has it all wrong ?

Start out at a normal weight in adulthood, and slowly over the years increase just a little bit.

I have seen studies where the best BMI for middle aged and older adults is around 26-27 BMI.

https://www.studyfinds.org/overweight-later-in-life-live-longer/

There are a LOT of really low quality studies/analysis of BMI with regard to longevity.  These have been discussed in these forums many times.  The higher quality the study, in particular when they look at never smokers and do REALLY LONG follow up to ENSURE no one with disease impacted the analysis, they find the ideal BMI is between 20-22.

among healthy never smokers with exclusion of early follow-up, and 1.05 (1.04 to 1.07; I2=97%, n=198) among all participants. There was a J shaped dose-response relation in never smokers (Pnon-linearity <0.001), and the lowest risk was observed at BMI 23-24 in never smokers, 22-23 in healthy never smokers, and 20-22 in studies of never smokers with ≥20 years’ follow-up.

But how this changes for the elderly is still a bit of a mystery as far as I know, for example some here believe higher BMI may be beneficial after age 80 or so, frailty can be a serious risk factor for the elderly, and having "excess reserves" to burn if/when you are very sick could also save your life.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, Gordo said:

But how this changes for the elderly is still a bit of a mystery as far as I know, for example some here believe higher BMI may be beneficial after age 80 or so, frailty can be a serious risk factor for the elderly, and having "excess reserves" to burn if/when you are very sick could also save your life.

Higher BMI from fat would result in higher inflammation, which can be beneficial in cases of infections, but overall is detrimental to health and longevity.

Presumably low BMI due to lean mass/low fat is much rarer among the elderly, but one would expect it to be beneficial, based on current evidence.