Recommend Videos and Podcasts on Health and Nutrition

I too listened to it today, the importance Peter Attia gives to exercise is paramount, when he cites exercise as a main preventive measure against dementia, together with sleep and diet, he even forgets about cognitive challenge which is an obvious and well-known trigger of neuronal development.

The issue with exercise is that it takes time and it may impinge unduly on some joints and muscular groups, so an optimization is often needed. To do as much as possible but less than what causes muscle and joints inflammation. Last year, after months and months of doing incline treadmill, I had to stop because of a pain at the right calf, which got inflamed by all that repetitive upslope workload. I took months to get rid of that nagging pain. This year I have really no time to do aerobics and the very little time at disposal I prefer to do resistance exercise.

I couldn't agree more upon his # 1 rule though, whatever is done, must be done in a way not to get injured.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dean Pomerleau said:

At 1:07:30, Peter says:

"Î wish they would create a rule that says you aren't even allowed to argue on Twitter about a [health/longevity] molecule until you are exercising 10 hours per week. Once you've shown you can exercise 10 hours per week you have earned the right to bicker whether [vitamin D or NMR] or this, that or the other thing, is beneficial."

--Dean

Well said.

--  Saul

Many of you guys probably already watched the latest 'The drive' episode. I found it an enlightening quick ride across the territory of metabolism. Among other things:

• The randle hypothesis on glucose/fat utilization, a dated concept which I didn't know about, which affirms that in the presence of abundant circulating fatty acids, the body would not metabolize glucose so fast. The intramyocellular lipids theory is more recent but the two hypotheses may work together and explain why VLF, VH carbs diets do not contribute to risk of T2D
  • What we know about NAD, why it's considered to be pro-longevity, why at present we cannot say its supplementation can be an anti-aging measure.

Edited by mccoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 2:41 PM, drewab said:

Peter Attia seems to have made the Californian podcast cycle lately - he was in yesterday's new release of the Hubberman Lab Podcast. It's nearly 3 hours of delightful conversation. 

I started to listen to the podcast. Even though I listened to just about every other podcast with Peter Attia, every time some different details are underlined. Here Attia explains why he says that exercise absolutely governs brain longevity, every other factor appearing to be secondary.

His maybe drastic affirmations are based on deep research commissioned to an expert, to find out which are the best preventive factors against DEmentia and Alzheimer. Surprisingly, physical exercise seems to overwhelm all other parameters, including nutrition, cognitive challenge, sleep, supplements, pharmaceutical drugs.

Conceptually, there may be a different from the parameters preventing degenerative brain disease and those influencing cognition efficiency in the absence of pathologies. What compromises seriously the function of brain though is neurodegenerative diseases, so that's absolutely to be avoided and physical exercise seems to be the best weapon. Maybe because of better CV efficiency, oxygen transportation, neural stimulation and other mechanisms.

Edited by mccoy

I went on listening. The part on HRT is maybe too specific and drug-related. big importance on free T as opposed to total T. The importance of singling out the cause of T deficiency: Central signal (pituitary) or other causes, testes and so on.

But the part which really caught my attention is the part on lipids. I've been listening to the ultra-detailed podcasts summing up 10+ hours on lipids, but when so much detail is exposed, we risk to lose the forest for the trees.

Here Attia, prompted by Hubermann, goes directly down to the basic question. ApoB is the single most important parameter. If the target is longevity, the optimum range is in the region of 20-30 mg/dL, the values typical at birth. In this instance he says basically the same things as Luigi Fontana in his book on longevity. LDL or Total-HDL (which are proxies of ApoB) should be as low as possible, no lower threshold specified.

The basic take home is that It's just about impossible to reach this target with diet & lifestyle, so drugs must be used. Statins, the most commons ones are usually very safe.

The concept is clear and has been discussed in this forum. It deserves a dedicated thread but basically, if we want to live really long and in health, the idea seems to be that we have to use exceptional weapons against the enemy (unless we have a randomly, inordinately rare, very favourable genetic setup like the ultra centenarians have).

Edited by mccoy

• 1 month later...

I tend to be skeptical of anything with the word "breatharian" in the title, but something about this story is inspiring. Elitom says he eats every other weekend - or two days our of fourteen. In the video I do think he makes good point about food and habit, as well as the reward centers in the brain that get over stimulated with how many of us consume food. So my question is this - do you think it's possible to consume food 2 out of 14 days and survive/thrive? I am sure Elitom's metabolic rate has slowed enormously, but it does make me wonder about what might be possible at the outer limits of humanity as opposed to being totally out of touch with reality. I ask purely out of fun, since it's something I am not interested in personally doing in any way, shape, or form. His message about consuming plants, fasting, and calorie restricting is certainly fine enough. 

34 minutes ago, drewab said:

do you think it's possible to consume food 2 out of 14 days and survive/thrive?

No, unless he's able to draw energy directly from air and water. In the hypothesis that this is possible (as illustrated by some yoga techniques) AFAIK there is no hard evidence so far. Has Elitom ever accepted to be studied for a relatively prolonged period of time? Even from the yoga readings, persons (usually saints or masters) who have been reportedly able to live without eating food have been extremely rare throughout the known history (for example, the mystic St. Therese Neumann, but again without hard evidence).

Once, on the wave of enthusiasm, I decided that I wanted to live prevalently on PRANA (astral energy), decreasing more and more my food intake (I was 21, young and very stupid). Basically I subjected myself to a 60% CR (less than 900 kCals per day) . The result was disastrous. I got very weak and anaemic, people around me thought I was using drugs and my mother already gave me for dead. It took me many months to recover, and I don't know how I was able to recover, apparently by sheer force of will.

Edited by mccoy

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...