Is niacin a fountain of youth?

I'd be careful with taking niacin supplements, especially since it's easy to get above RDA from food sources.  I just looked and over the last year, I average 155% of RDA, from non-fortified nutritional yeast, tomatoes, winter squash (I love and consume kabocha regularly), brewer's yeast, and almonds, as the top five sources.

For example (I don't have time for a better search):

Don't Take Niacin for Heart Health, Docs Warn

12 hours ago, Ron Put said:

I'd be careful with taking niacin supplements, especially since it's easy to get above RDA from food sources.  I just looked and over the last year, I average 155% of RDA, from non-fortified nutritional yeast, tomatoes, winter squash (I love and consume kabocha regularly), brewer's yeast, and almonds, as the top five sources.

For example (I don't have time for a better search):

Don't Take Niacin for Heart Health, Docs Warn

It can cause liver problems at higher doses

• 2 years later...
On 3/11/2021 at 6:08 AM, Mike41 said:

It can cause liver problems at higher doses

I've started supplementing with about 250mg and my total daily intake is between 270-300mg according to Cronometer.

For the first few days, I looked like I had a major allergic rash within minutes after taking it, but the flushing response has subsided.

I'll test in a few weeks and see if liver markers and glucose have moved in the wrong direction, but the increased overall mortality in the study I posted above is troubling, even if the subjects are all suffering from heart disease.

AFAIR there are at least 3 different delivery vehicles, one is that creates flushes (the niacin) and the most studied, and two delivered via molecular tricks, from those two one is liver toxic under some circumstances. When I played with niacin supplementation I used 250mg Now version that as I understood is not the risky one, but I finally found it senseless for me and stopped. I hade it once per three days and at this level I saw no difference in any params checked.

Br,

Igor

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 7:07 AM, mccoy said:

'm taking 50 mg per day since I have little  dietary niacin

My top source before supplementation was non-fortified nutritional yeast. Mushrooms are in second place.

Before supplementation, I was in the 36mg range from diet, not I am about 290mg. I'll see what my glucose is in a few weeks.

Is anyone else on a longer-term niacin regimen and if so, any adverse results?