• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, KHashmi317 said:

YOU WILL ULTIMATELY NEED A 3rd SHOT -- and probably boosters ad infinitum

Yes, this is most likely true. I really don't understand why this is a surprise to anyone with a modicum of knowledge and common sense. Covid-19 is a regular coronavirus. It behaves just like other coronaviruses before it. It mutates, albeit not nearly as fast as something like the influenza strains. It will circulate just as the other coronaviruses do, and now that we have vaccines, boosters will be needed periodically. We have to change the flu shot every year, and we are used to it being less effective than any of the current Covid-19 vaccines. So, again, why is anyone surprised?

Much of this is due to the media-driven hysteria and the Left's (and China's) politicization of this pandemic, and the resulting spread of unreasonable fear, societal disruptions, and self-perpetuating restrictions on personal liberties most in the West took for granted. As the goalposts have moved to "sterilization" instead of "containment and management," we are still living with various forms of restrictions and large portions of the population lives in an absurd state of fear and polarization.

The absolutely idiotic "pause" of the J&J vaccine in the US poured napalm on the fire of already raging stupidity, and it will have major repercussions not only in the US, but in the rest of the world. Fauci, who is a shameless political animal, is now talking about a "warning," but the damage has already been done. And such warning should be placed on all currently available vaccines, as they all trigger various reactions, and a very small number of people have died and will die, as a result of the shots.

This includes Pfizer's product (in rare cases it triggers immune thrombocytopenia), but I am really starting to think that at least part of the reason that the media in the US (and in the EU) did not amplify the deaths as a result of their shots is that they are close to the Biden Administration and publically slammed Trump right before the election. Their relationship with Biontech also gives them political clout and support in the EU, and China is also playing a role, as they have recently made statements that "the BioNTech" vaccine will be approved for distribution in China, providing a huge windfall for Pfizer.

1 hour ago, Ron Put said:

Covid-19 is a regular coronavirus. It behaves just like other coronaviruses before it. It mutates, albeit not nearly as fast as something like the influenza strains. It will circulate just as the other coronaviruses do, and now that we have vaccines, boosters will be needed periodically. We have to change the flu shot every year, and we are used to it being less effective than any of the current Covid-19 vaccines. So, again, why is anyone surprised?

Hi Ron!

This is not entirely true.  When I received my Pfizer shots at Rochester General Hospital, I chatted with Dr. Walsh, who is in Infectious Diseases; he led the Pfizer Phase 1/2/3 study here in Rochester:  Dr. Walsh was discussing variants.  I made exactly the same claim that you did in the above quote.  Dr. Walsh responded:  "Yes and No".  It is true that Covid-19 is a coronavirus, and that the coronaviruses that we know are slower to mutate than other RNA viruses; but Dr. Walsh noted that those others have been with us for a long time -- he believes thousands of years, at least (true, we may have heard of Ebola rather recently -- but Dr. Walsh believes that it's been around in Africa for a very long time, before the West grew aware of it.)

Covid-19 jumped from animals to humans very recently -- the virus is adjusting to an unfamiliar environment.  According to Dr. Walsh, it is likely to be mutating at faster rates than the coronaviruses that have been around humans for many generations, before it "settles down" into a pattern similar to the well-established coronaviruses.

So Covid-19 is not a "regular coronoavrirus"; it is currently the only "novel coronavirus".

(I agree with everything else in your post.)

--  Saul

An interesting example:  My wife is an NP specializing in gastroenterology.  She had a healthy ca 40 yo male patient, who refused to take the Covid vaccine.  He belongs to some fundamentalist church that is anti vax (all vax's). 

He caught Covid-19, and recovered.  It seemed that he'd be OK.  But, he returned to see her again recently -- he had some undiagnosed physical problem.  Tests that my wife had him take -- eventually including some that are photographic (X Rays, or some other -- I don't remember which), showed that he had an unusual brain tumor.  My wife researched this -- it's a known possible complication of Covid-19 infection.

It's a fatal cancer.

--  Saul

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Tests that my wife had him take -- eventually including some that are photographic (X Rays, or some other -- I don't remember which), showed that he had an unusual brain tumor.  My wife researched this -- it's a known possible complication of Covid-19 infection.

Saul,

Can you find out more details from your wife?

Honestly I'm pretty skeptical that brain tumors are a "known possible complication" of covid-19. I could be wrong, but one reason for my skepticism is that I'm pretty sure that brain tumors that cause symptoms and are detectable via neuroimaging take many years to develop, so there hasn't been enough time since covid-19 arose for an association to be discovered and validated.

But I'll admit I could be wrong and if I am I'd like to know more details.

Thanks!

--Dean

2 hours ago, Dean Pomerleau said:

Saul,

Can you find out more details from your wife?

Honestly I'm pretty skeptical that brain tumors are a "known possible complication" of covid-19. I could be wrong, but one reason for my skepticism is that I'm pretty sure that brain tumors that cause symptoms and are detectable via neuroimaging take many years to develop, so there hasn't been enough time since covid-19 arose for an association to be discovered and validated.

But I'll admit I could be wrong and if I am I'd like to know more details.

Thanks!

--Dean

I'll ask her.

--  Saul

Come viruses are certainly tumor-causing, including HPV and HIV, and Hepatitis C is responsible for many tumors in the liver. They can interact with the host's cells DNA, but it is also likely that inflammation is a contributing factor.

On the other hand, I am not aware of any coronavirus causing tumors, and in fact, there is evidence (known for centuries) that some infections cause the shrinkage of tumors (if I recall correctly, there is also experimental evidence from human trials for it, back when such experiments were socially acceptable).

Here are a couple of articles on tumors and infections, of the "curiosity" variety:

Why do some cancers suddenly disappear without treatment?

The earliest documented case of spontaneous regression was in the late 13th century. A bone sarcoma in Peregrine Laziosi spontaneously disappeared after a severe bacterial infection. In the late 1800s, William Coley observed that inducing a fever could result in tumour regression. He developed a bacterial vaccine ("Coley's vaccine") that was successful in reducing tumours in many of his patients.

Tumours have been known to disappear spontaneously, in the absence of any targeted treatment, usually after an infection (bacterial, viral, fungal or even protozoal). Could this mean that simply stimulating the immune system causes regression? ...

But tumours are notoriously varied, both in their genetics and their behaviour, which can result in relentless disease progression in some people, but cause spontaneous regression in others. Tumours of the same type (such as breast cancer) can mutate in many different ways. This can influence the rate of tumour growth, or the likelihood of spread to different locations, or how responsive they are to treatment. It is highly probable that genetic mutations are also responsible for spontaneous regression."

Can the flu shot help fight cancer?

Increasing immune cells within a tumor can change it from "cold" to "hot" -- more recognizable to the immune system. Hot tumors show higher rates of response to treatment, and patients with such tumors have improved survival rates.

Physicians and scientists at Rush University Medical Center have found that injecting tumors with influenza vaccines, including some FDA-approved seasonal flu shots, turns cold tumors to hot, a discovery that could lead to an immunotherapy to treat cancer. The study results were published December 30th in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

And this is specifically related to Covid-19:

Cancer Patient's Tumors Shrink After Having Severe COVID, Doctors Find

11 minutes ago, Saul said:

My wife actually told me that her patient was suffering from  meningoencephalitis; that is, an infection of the brain, in this case by the novel coronavirus.

Ah, that would make sense. Thanks.

Edited by Ron Put

21 hours ago, Saul said:

We're not horses.

Hi Saul, I think the term "dark horse" refers to horse racing and the very big odds and potential payoffs on new unknown horses.  In the case of the podcast I think the name implies their focus is to explore little covered or unfashionable ideas with potentially large payoffs.

Edited by Todd Allen

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Hi Dean and Ron!

I misspoke.  My wife actually told me that her patient was suffering from  meningoencephalitis; that is, an infection of the brain, in this case by the novel coronavirus.

--  Saul

Thanks for checking Saul. That makes a lot more sense. Interestingly, this review paper on meningoencephalitis and covid-19 indeed found quite a few documented cases in covid-19 patients, skewing towards the demographic of many around here:

Analysis of the demographic parameters reveals that mean age of the patients with COVID-19-related meningoencephalitis was (50.8 ± 19.09) years with males being more commonly affected (70%). 

--Dean 

Salk researchers and collaborators show how the protein damages cells, confirming COVID-19 as a primarily vascular disease--The novel coronavirus’ spike protein plays additional key role in illness: 

https://www.salk.edu/news-release/the-novel-coronavirus-spike-protein-plays-additional-key-role-in-illness/

Why is important? The mRNA vaxes are based on spikes ALONE. 

Evolutionary biologists Brett and Heather examine the new Salk study in their latest (May 1) vlog here:

There are some interesting observations in this discussion, and wholeheartedly agree that we should not stifle debate on the subject.

The Salk paper makes some interesting observations, but since there is no reason that this pandemic is caused by a virus that behaves dramatically differently than other similar viruses, despite the sometimes bizarre claims and an avalanche of poorly/hastily done scientific research trying to ride the wave of hysteria.

Again, virtually all the "mysterious" long and short term effects present with other infections, and have been known for years or decades. Influetza and other respiratory illnesses have been observed to trigger strokes and other CV events for a long time:

Flu, flu-like illnesses linked to increased risk of stroke, neck artery tears

"In the first study (abstract 189), researchers found that having a flu-like illness increased the odds of having a stroke by nearly 40 percent over the next 15 days.  This increased risk remained up to one year."

As to the vaccines, they've been around for six months or more now, and there is no evidence of any adverse events of the sort of the ones described in the video above. Even with the mutations, it appears that B and T cell activity is still able to largely prevent hospitalizations and deaths, and there is no reason to assume that this will dramatically change suddenly. Again, coronaviruses mutate slower than many other viruses, including influenza, and we still manage to produce influenza vaccines, even if they are not as efficient at preventing illness as the current coronavirus vaccines.

I think a discussion is warranted and useful, but I don't think hysteria is -- on either side of the debate.