Ron Put

Random Lectures and talks you liked

I am always on the prowl to find new stuff to listen to or to watch.

In case I am not the only one here, I thought I'd start a topic for just such lectures and talks.

Here is something I enjoyed on my hike yesterday:

An older talk on paleolithic humans in America, but I found it to be one of the better presentations on the subject:

35 minutes ago, Mechanism said:

In that spirit, what do Saul, Dean, James Cain, & Richard Miller share in common unrelated to CR?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkC6C9Xj8vxOyOT8EXcStQg/videos (@ KAUST?)

It's crazy that those interviews are just surfacing. I vaguely remember sitting down with him during the CR Conference in Arizona in 2016.

--Dean

I remember the interview -- but I don't really remember where it occurred.  My best guess is in my backyard, possibly before I moved to my current location (that would make it before 2000).

--  Saul

Edited by Saul
Error in dates

Saul, enjoyed your discussion of your long academic career & digressions into life and Fermat's Last Theorem, etc

BTW, if you didn't know, good news, your favorite place https://kripalu.org/ - it's official, doors open 8/19.

3 hours ago, Mechanism said:

Saul, enjoyed your discussion of your long academic career & digressions into life and Fermat's Last Theorem, etc

Me too :)

On 6/5/2021 at 3:52 AM, InquilineKea said:

biochem

Thanks for that, it was a really nice summary and an interesting take that now I think I had read about before. I totally enjoyed it on my hike.

A good talk about behavious psycology and heretability:

And another, older talk by Plomin focused more on educational achievement:

Ezra Klein interrview on our culture of work and how hunter-gatherers had a very different attitude.

Here is the blurb on the episode:

Historically speaking, we live in an age of extraordinary abundance. We have long since passed the income thresholds when past economists believed our needs would be more than met and we’d be working 15-hour weeks, puzzling over how to spend our free time. And yet, few of us feel able to exult in leisure, and even many of today’s rich toil as if the truest reward for work is more work. Our culture of work would be profoundly puzzling to those who came before us.

James Suzman is an anthropologist who has spent the last 30 years living with and studying the Ju/’hoansi people of southern Africa, one of the world’s enduring hunter-gatherer societies. And that project has given him a unique lens on our modern obsession with work.

As Suzman documents in his new book, “Work: A Deep History From the Stone Age to the Age of Robots,” hunter-gatherer societies like the Ju/’hoansi spent only about 15 hours a week meeting their material needs despite being deeply impoverished by modern standards. But as we’ve gotten richer and invented more technology, we’ve developed a machine for generating new needs, new desires, new forms of status competition.

So this is a conversation about the past, present and future of humanity’s relationship to work and to want. We discuss what economists get wrong about scarcity, the lessons hunter-gatherer societies can teach us about desire, how the advent of farming radically altered people’s conceptions of work and time, whether there’s such a thing as human nature, the dangers of social and economic inequality, the role of advertising in shaping human desires, whether we should have a wealth tax and universal basic income, and much more.

Here is the Google podcast link:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS84MkZJMzVQeA/episode/NGFlOWQ4MzItMGQ3Yy00NjJmLWJiZGQtMzAzNWY3ZjAxZGIx?ep=14

If you listen on another device you'll have to search for the Ezra Klein show.

--Dean

Fascinating stuff. Another very interesting link with the major killers and causes of morbidity in the world.