Ron Put

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 1:07 AM, AlanPater said:

True to form, Ron.

Do you have a rational comment, or any con or pro argument on the merit, or anything thoughtful to say? If you do, I'd be thrilled to read it, perhaps in its own thread.
But silly ad hominem attacks against anyone that is at odds with your seemingly strong and rather rigid biases, are uncalled for.

Edited by Ron Put

• 2 months later...

Herman Pontzer - Evolution Activity and Aging in Human Energy Expenditure

An interesting researcher. He recently summarized his vision in a nice pop-sci book "Burn. The Misunderstood Science of Metabolism". AFAIR his research with Hadza+ was used as one of the sources of inspiration by authors of other nice recently published pop-sci books: "Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do Is Healthy and Rewarding" by Daniel Lieberman and "Ultra-Processed People: Why We Can't Stop Eating Food That Isn't Food" by Chris van Tulleken

I personally liked all this stuff, maybe because it resonates well with my own observations, intuition and so on.

Br,

Igor

• 1 month later...

I have listened to that. Very interesting episode. I too was a follower of Dr. Sheldon's proposals when younger but in my case, they have been detrimental, since I applied them in too an extreme fashion, with excessive caloric restriction and not optimizing nutrients. As a result, I got sick and to date, I hate to lose weight, remembering the bad health conditions when I reached a BMI of 17.0.

Dr. Fuhrman with time has refined his suggestions and I find them sensible as a whole, even not adhering to a vegan regimen. I find that animal protein has the advantage of being effective in a low and digestible amount, whereas plant protein tends to be less effective in low amounts and little digestible in higher amounts. Just my personal experience. Also, nuts protein maybe is not all digested, following the fate of fat (I'm pasting an article on that below). 

I may follow Fuhrman's suggestion to take moderate amounts (about 250-500 mg) of Omega-3s, far less than usually suggested, his approach may be the winning one. I tend to appreciate moderation unless other approaches are shown to be accurate. In the present controversy about the usefulness of omega3s, this appears a good compromise.

Very interesting the part about IGF1, which I'll have to read again. Apparently, regular resistance exercise uses up circulating IGF1, also creating some of it in an autocrine fashion. 

Energy extraction from nuts: walnuts, almonds and pistachios

Abstract

The bioaccessibility of fat has implications for satiety and postprandial lipidaemia. The prevailing view holds that the integrity of plant cell wall structure is the primary determinant of energy and nutrient extraction from plant cells as they pass through the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. However, comparisons across nuts (walnuts, almonds and pistachios) with varying physical properties do not support this view. In the present study, masticated samples of three nuts from healthy adults were exposed to a static model of gastric digestion followed by simulated intestinal digestion. Primary outcomes were particle size and lipid release at each phase of digestion. Walnuts produced a significantly larger particle size post-mastication compared with almonds. Under gastric and intestinal conditions, the particle size was larger for walnuts compared with pistachios and almonds (P < 0·05). However, the masticated and digesta particle sizes were not related to the integrity of cell walls or lipid release. The total lipid release was comparable between nuts after the in vitro intestinal phase (P > 0·05). Microstructural examination showed ruptured and fissured cell walls that would allow digestion of cellular contents, and this may be governed by internal cellular properties such as oil body state. Furthermore, the cell walls of walnuts tend to rupture rather than separate and as walnut tissue passes through the GI tract, lipids tend to coalesce reducing digestion efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...

mouth arcs changes with environment change and  far going consequences, interviews with authors of the book

Jaws: The Story of a Hidden Epidemic by Sandra Kahn, Paul R. Erhlich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEsbG43lXdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTZOi2KXU04

(since I am single and have nobody to ask if I am snoring I decided to buy a used continuous pulse oxymeter to see the saturation during the whole night, no idea how good these toys for home users are, better tools have several hundreds - few thousands price and I am not curious enough for them)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an incredible episode with Dr. Rhona Patrick who is well-known for her Found My Fitness Podcast titled "How Vitamin D, Omega 3's, and Exercise May Increase Longevity." It includes an intriguing discussion around vitamin D, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, as well as exercise, hormetic stressors, the brain, and inflammation. It was recorded for The Institute of Functional Medicine. 

The the studies are overlaid with the information she provides makes it a highly engaging and educational video. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 11/12/2023 at 10:50 AM, IgorF said:

critics regarding too wide hypothesizing done by original discovery authors

Thanks.

While there are definitely questions about the way this is being presented and interpreted and the second video makes some great points, it always surprises me how convinced humans are of their own absolute uniqueness.

Other animals appear to have death rituals (I have witnessed bluejays' behavior that indicated just such a ritual). I may be imagining things in that specific instance, but it is unlikely, IMO, that humans are removed from other animals by a sharp bright line, or that we are the only species to have noticed death or time.

Edited by Ron Put

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had no idea where to place it so adding here, S. Jay Olshansky (now doing something for pepsico - a bit of surprise for me) tells that Roy Walford in a private discussion told he doesnt' really believe about possibility of dieting to 120yo

at 15:02 approx.

I have no judgmenets on the topic, just find it worse to be shared.

Br,

Igor