Rapamycin thread (Mikhail is all over it now)

apparently grapefruit juice helps. Also 30mg/week?!?!? I'm used to 10 mg/week. For some kidney failure patients they use 90mg/week

Also mice dosed middle-aged for just 3 months had drastic lifespan improvementsm indicating some long-lasting epigenetic effects

• 10 months later...

Multiple treatments to slow age-related muscle wasting

Rapamycin and CR have additive effects.

Researchers led by Professor Markus Rüegg at the Biozentrum of the University of Basel have demonstrated in mice that both calorie restriction and the drug rapamycin have a positive effect on aging skeletal muscle.

"Contrary to our expectations, the treatments do not redundantly converge at mTORC1," emphasizes Ham. "While we could understand that calorie restriction would have beneficial effects beyond mTORC1 suppression, it was incredibly surprising to us that rapamycin, an mTORC1 inhibitor, further slowed muscle aging in calorie restricted mice, where mTORC1-activating nutrients are available for just a few hours each day."

[I assume everyone saw the articles about limited benefit of time restricted feeding in humans.  I suspect the stricter restriction of the rats “nutrients are available for just a few hours a day” is much more severe than the humans in this trial.  Year-long study shows time restricted diets offer no benefit “limit their eating to the hours of 8am to 4pm”    CB]

In calorie-restricted mice treated with rapamycin, the beneficial effects were therefore additive, with mice displaying significantly better muscle function than mice receiving either treatment alone.

• 1 year later...