Cell phones and cancer -- redux

A few years ago, I posted a new thread on this topic ... but I'll be damned if I can find it as this Forum's internal SE is challenged and is closed off to externals (Google, Yahoo, etc). 

Alas a new thread ... because of late-breaking news .... 

Cell phones and cancer: New UC Berkeley study suggests cell phones sharply increase tumor risk

By Sharon Song Published 4 days ago Updated 3 days ago UC Berkeley KTVU FOX 2

https://www.ktvu.com/news/new-uc-berkeley-study-draws-strong-link-between-cell-phone-use-and-cancer

Your paper examined case-control studies, but their reference "6" was a prospective study.  Tumors were associated with the side of the head the phones were used on.

6. Cell phones and brain tumors: a review including the long-term epidemiologic data.
Khurana VG, Teo C, Kundi M, Hardell L, Carlberg M.
Surg Neurol. 2009 Sep;72(3):205-14; discussion 214-5. doi: 10.1016/j.surneu.2009.01.019. Epub 2009 Mar 27.
PMID: 19328536
Abstract
Background: The debate regarding the health effects of low-intensity electromagnetic radiation from sources such as power lines, base stations, and cell phones has recently been reignited. In the present review, the authors attempt to address the following question: is there epidemiologic evidence for an association between long-term cell phone usage and the risk of developing a brain tumor? Included with this meta-analysis of the long-term epidemiologic data are a brief overview of cell phone technology and discussion of laboratory data, biological mechanisms, and brain tumor incidence.
Methods: In order to be included in the present meta-analysis, studies were required to have met all of the following criteria: (i) publication in a peer-reviewed journal; (ii) inclusion of participants using cell phones for > or = 10 years (ie, minimum 10-year "latency"); and (iii) incorporation of a "laterality" analysis of long-term users (ie, analysis of the side of the brain tumor relative to the side of the head preferred for cell phone usage). This is a meta-analysis incorporating all 11 long-term epidemiologic studies in this field.
Results: The results indicate that using a cell phone for > or = 10 years approximately doubles the risk of being diagnosed with a brain tumor on the same ("ipsilateral") side of the head as that preferred for cell phone use. The data achieve statistical significance for glioma and acoustic neuroma but not for meningioma.
Conclusion: The authors conclude that there is adequate epidemiologic evidence to suggest a link between prolonged cell phone usage and the development of an ipsilateral brain tumor.

Thx Al! 

I think there has been enough there there for me personally to to act in self-defense .... for years, I've never pocketed cell phones (use belt bag), use land  line phones as much as possible, turn data plan off from iPhone (only use telephone plan) .... and keeping that wireless home router as far away from my workstation as possible.

Hi Khurram!

If it's true that the proximity of electronic equipment may tend to induce tumors, then your workstation might be a  more dangerous than your cellphone.

At any rate, information gleaned from very small sets of data is probably best ignored.

--  Saul

If anyone is uncomfortable with the topic of high-energy wireless transmissions -- receivers and transmitters -- then simply treat it as "science fiction" and enjoy it as a good sci fi novel or movie.

That said, author Dr Tom Cowan -- who was banned from YouTube, despite having written a Simon and Schuster-published book The Contagion Myth
Why Viruses (including "Coronavirus") Are Not the Cause of Disease
-- has given some interesting accounts ... from the Simon and Schuster book summary page:

While the incidence and death statistics for COVID-19 may not be reliable, there is no question that many people have taken sick with a strange new disease—with odd symptoms like gasping for air and “fizzing” feelings—and hundreds of thousands have died. Many suspect that the cause is not viral but a kind of pollution unique to the modern age—electromagnetic pollution. Today we are surrounded by a jangle of overlapping and jarring frequencies—from power lines to the fridge to the cell phone. It started with the telegraph and progressed to worldwide electricity, then radar, then satellites that disrupt the ionosphere, then ubiquitous Wi-Fi. The most recent addition to this disturbing racket is fifth generation wireless—5G. In The Contagion Myth: Why Viruses (including Coronavirus) are Not the Cause of Disease, bestselling authors Thomas S. Cowan, MD, and Sally Fallon Morell tackle the true causes of COVID-19.

On September 26, 2019, 5G wireless was turned on in Wuhan, China (and officially launched November 1) with a grid of about ten thousand antennas—more antennas than exist in the whole United States, all concentrated in one city. A spike in cases occurred on February 13, the same week that Wuhan turned on its 5G network for monitoring traffic. Illness has subsequently followed 5G installation in all the major cities in America.

Also:

"Facebook post about Italy, coronavirus and 5G is almost all false" ... but the story is intriguing https://fullfact.org/online/italy-covid-5g/

https://www.eni.com/en-IT/scientific-research/5g-testing-negative-coronavirus.html

• 5 months later...

Y'all want better evidence from the top universities ... big journals .... scientists with elite university creds ... well much of that has been out there .... sorry it took me so long to find it ... but much can be summarized in this 2015 Univ. of Melbourne lecture ... bottom line keep your connected  i-device away from your tissues ...

Who is Dr Devra Davis?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devra_Davis