mccoy

Most powerful supplement for blood pressure

Guys, I'm posting about AGE (Aged Garlic Extract).

I was checking my BP, and systolic 120-125 was a value I didn't like much. I ordered AGE but didn't take it.

I rechecked my BP,  15 days ago and today. 114-115. Good.

My conclusion is that AGE is an extremely powerful supplement, the mere fact of it sitting on a shelf in my house has decreased my BP by 10 mm Hg,  LOL.

Seriously, AGE has been shown to decrease BP up to 15 mm Hg in good responders (after some time), plus it seems to inhibit the progression of CAC score and so on. Cannot find now the main article I consulted, I'm going to paste something relevant. My BP still is under 120/80, but some further reduction wouldn't hurt I suppose.

How much do you take? A lot of the kyolic studies I've seen use pretty large dosages of  1200 to 2400mg, which would be 4 to 8 capsules.

And just out of curiosity, have you ever tried amla for blood pressure?

Tea, AFAIK the typical AGE dosage should be in the range of 600 to 1200 mg per day (distributed). But I'm not taking it yet, I'm waiting to finish my bottle of garlic oil capsules first, the two together may be too much perhaps.

No, never tried amla, which I'm curious about though.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, mccoy said:

I was checking my BP, and systolic 120-125 was a value I didn't like much. I ordered AGE but didn't take it.

I rechecked my BP,  15 days ago and today. 114-115. Good.

My conclusion is that AGE is an extremely powerful supplement, the mere fact of it sitting on a shelf in my house has decreased my BP by 10 mm Hg, 

mccoy, are you jumping to such a conclusion based on only a couple of measurements? Blood pressure varies and unless you are taking regular measurements over a considerable period, it's likely a fluke. I quite like the taste of black garlic and can eat a jar at one sitting (it's relatively high in calories, too), but have never noticed a marked difference in my BP, which I check relatively regularly. 

I take amla fairly regularly and also don't think it has made a significant difference to my blood pressure, or to my cholesterol. 

On 8/1/2021 at 4:15 AM, Ron Put said:

mccoy, are you jumping to such a conclusion based on only a couple of measurements? Blood pressure varies and unless you are taking regular measurements over a considerable period, it's likely a fluke

I agree, although I don't go to such an extent to measure BP 3 times per day like P. Attia prescribes to his clients. I'm taking regular readings, presently my BP is in the range of 115-120 mm. A little less would make me happier and AGE extract could maybe work out in that direction.

There is also another possibility, totally feasible, which is to wear a Holter BPM or ABPM and have one's BP measured for 24 hours at intervals of 15 minutes (day) or 30 minutes (night).

You just suggested the idea to me. I'm going to rent the ABPM  once a week and see the results. That's the way to go for a circle of health-obsessed people like we are. Actually the best way would be to wear it twice a week, alternate weeks, for a few months. Or maybe there are a few more efficient strategies.

image.png.8b186cf785f2993482a8cee357eb8ffe.png

Edited by mccoy

On 8/1/2021 at 4:15 AM, Ron Put said:

I quite like the taste of black garlic and can eat a jar at one sitting (it's relatively high in calories, too), but have never noticed a marked difference in my BP, which I check relatively regularly. 

Congratulations Ron, I'm unfortunately one of those guys who doesn't tolerate raw garlic. Did you measure before and after a period of garlic-indulegnce? Or maybe you are a non responder to garlic...

Hah, today I ate almost 100g of black garlic (it's aged garlic). I can eat the stuff like candy, which is why I don't buy it very often :)

It used to be pricier, but nowadays you can buy it cheaply in Chinese stores or on Amazon.

Right before I ate it, I measured my BP and it was 100/63. This was in the afternoon. But yesterday I measured it in the late morning and the first triple measurement set was 117/77, then the one right after was 114/73. So it varies as expected, with or without amla or black garlic. Or maybe I just don't monitor regularly enough to notice a pattern.

3 hours ago, Ron Put said:

This continuous BP bracelet is approved in Europe:

https://aktiia.com/uk/

Seems pretty promising, the optical device meets the ISO requirements and the site content appears to be scrupolously scientific. The price is not very high. I'm tempted...

Edited by mccoy

On 9/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, mccoy said:

I just ordered the aktiia BP, but it will take at least one month for the delivery

I am kind of envious... :D Let us know how it goes.

On the glucose front, my doctor thinks that in my case wearing a continuous glucose meter is pointless, and insurance won't pay for it. I might still do it, but I have also been looking at lancing devices and meters.

The Genteel Plus Painless Lancing Device appears to be practically painless, has anyone here tried it?

As to the meters themselves, here is a video review of the accuracy of a few: