Just curious, anyone have a plan, or preps for global pandemic?

Gordo

Covid-19 Vaccine Survey  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Your Vaccine Status is:

• Fully vaccinated
    • Partially vaccinated
    • Not Vaccinated
  2. 2. If not (fully) vaccinated, your reason(s) for your decision (check all that apply):

• Not Applicable - I'm vaccinated
    • The rapid vaccine development process makes me distrust them
    • I'm worried about vaccine side effects
    • I don't think I'm at much risk of getting a covid infection
    • I don't believe a covid infection is a serious risk for someone like me
    • I'm waiting until the vaccines receive final approval
    • Fear of needles
    • A medical condition prevents me from getting vaccines
    • Bad reaction to the first dose of the covid vaccine
    • I already had COVID-19 and don't think I need the vaccine for protection
    • Vaccine not available where I live
  3. 3. Are you OK with having your CR forum name included on a list of members who have/haven't chosen to be vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Todd Allen said:

It doesn't appear to be very contagious or deadly.  Hard to get very excited about it.

But the name is pretty exotic and ominous. I believe that most of us took the smallpox vaccine, developing some protection.

The authorities are playing it down, so it should be a cinch considering how the authorities reacted to the SARSCOV2 pandemic, but then the competence of such authorities is very dubious, so maybe we may be in for some excitation after all.

From the bit I've read, yes traditionally this has been a pretty difficult to transmit human-to-human virus. For example there was an outbreak in 2003 in the USA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Midwest_monkeypox_outbreak

It was transmitted from some infected pet rats that had imported recently. Contact tracing showed no human-to-human transmission.

The issue which I've seen some epidemiologists discussing on twitter is that this current outbreak is not behaving in the same way. There appears to be quite a lot of human-to-human transmission, now apparently in several European countries, Canada, USA, etc. This differs from prior outbreaks?

2 hours ago, BrianA said:

It was transmitted from some infected pet rats that had imported recently.

2003 Outbreak from Imported Mammals

In 2003, forty-seven confirmed and probable casesexternal icon of monkeypox were reported from six states—Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin. All people infected with monkeypox in this outbreak became ill after having contact with pet prairie dogs. The pets were infected after being housed near imported small mammals from Ghana. This was the first time that human monkeypox was reported outside of Africa.

What caused the 2003 U.S. outbreak?

Investigators determined that a shipment of animals from Ghana, imported to Texas in April 2003, introduced monkeypox virus into the United States. The shipment contained approximately 800 small mammals representing nine different species, including six types of rodents. These rodents included rope squirrels, tree squirrels, African giant pouched rats, brush-tailed porcupines, dormice, and striped mice. CDC laboratory testing showed that two African giant pouched rats, nine dormice, and three rope squirrels were infected with monkeypox virus. After importation into the United States, some of the infected animals were housed near prairie dogs at the facilities of an Illinois animal vendor. These prairie dogs were sold as pets before they developed signs of infection.

All people infected with monkeypox became ill after having contact with infected pet prairie dogs. A study conducted after the outbreak suggested that certain activities associated with animals were more likely to lead to monkeypox infection. These activities included touching a sick animal or receiving a bite or scratch that broke the skin. Another important factor was cleaning the cage or touching the bedding of a sick animal. No instances of monkeypox infection were attributed exclusively to person-to-person contact.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:49 PM, BrianA said:

The issue which I've seen some epidemiologists discussing on twitter is that this current outbreak is not behaving in the same way. There appears to be quite a lot of human-to-human transmission, now apparently in several European countries, Canada, USA, etc. This differs from prior outbreaks?

Not necessarily, mostly it appears to have found a particularly horny group that engages in particularly spread-helping behavior. Just like with Covid, you are susceptible to selective media coverage and each clickbait article amplifies your convictions and anxiety.

This is a rather well-argued review of two long-Covid studies:

35 minutes ago, Ron Put said:
On 5/21/2022 at 6:49 PM, BrianA said:

Not necessarily, mostly it appears to have found a particularly horny group that engages in particularly spread-helping behavior.

" No human-to-human transmission was documented[38] until the 2022 monkeypox outbreak in Europe.[40 "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeypox#History

4 minutes ago, AlanPater said:

" No human-to-human transmission was documented[38] until the 2022 monkeypox outbreak in Europe.[40 "

Really Alan?! Until 2022?! I guess you never question the partisan topic-squatters on Wikipedia, as long as they affirm your own beliefs...

This is from 2016:

Extended Human-to-Human Transmission during a Monkeypox Outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

And this is from the CDC, stamped "Page last reviewed July 16, 2021."

"
Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet, so prolonged face-to-face contact is required. Other human-to-human methods of transmission include direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, and indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated clothing or linens."

8 hours ago, Ron Put said:

This is a rather well-argued review of two long-Covid studies:

It will be nice to see these ideas put to the test. My first thought was: If long covid is really an anxiety disorder, why does it allegedly affect women so much more than men? But a quick search result says: "Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, and the prevalence of anxiety disorders is significantly higher for women (23.4 percent) than men (14.3 percent)." So this explanation makes sense. I think most people don't even realize how many ailments are actually "mind generated". I found a list of common mind body disorders here: https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Success_Stories_by_Symptoms_&_Diagnoses

(They should probably add long covid and chronic Lyme)

Achilles Tendonitis
Acid Reflux
Allergies
Anxiety Symptoms
Arm Pain
Asthma
Back Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Bursitis
Buttock Pain
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)
Chondromalacia
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Coccydynia
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
Depression
Dermatological conditions
Dry Eye
Dry Mouth, Burning Mouth, Sjogren's Syndrome
Dizziness
Elbow Pain
Fibromyalgia Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Food Sensitivities
Foot Pain
Frequent Sickness
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Groin Pain
Hand Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Headaches
Heel Pain
Herniated Disc
Hiatus Hernia
Hip Pain
Hyperacusis
Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome
Insomnia
Interstitial Cystitis (IC)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Knee Injuries
Leg Pain
Migraines Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Neck Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Neuropathy
Panic Attacks
Paroxysmal Hypertension
Piriformis Syndrome
Plantar Fasciitis
Post-Polio Syndrome
Prostate Pain
Raynaud's Phenomenon
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI) Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Restless Leg Syndrome
Sacroiliac Pain
Sciatica Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Shin Splints
Shoulder Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Skin problems such as rashes
Spasmodic Dysphonia
Spinal Stenosis
Spondylolisthesis
Stomach Pain
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Tendonitis
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS)
Tinnitus
Tooth Pain
Trigger Finger
Vertigo
Vision Problems
Vulvodynia

On 5/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, Ron Put said:
On 5/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, AlanPater said:

Really Alan?! Until 2022?! I guess you never question the partisan topic-squatters on Wikipedia, as long as they affirm your own beliefs...

This is from 2016:

Extended Human-to-Human Transmission during a Monkeypox Outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

And this is from the CDC, stamped "Page last reviewed July 16, 2021."

"in Europe", and the rest of the world for that matter.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:02 PM, Gordo said:

It will be nice to see these ideas put to the test. My first thought was: If long covid is really an anxiety disorder, why does it allegedly affect women so much more than men? But a quick search result says: "Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, and the prevalence of anxiety disorders is significantly higher for women (23.4 percent) than men (14.3 percent)." So this explanation makes sense. I think most people don't even realize how many ailments are actually "mind generated". I found a list of common mind body disorders here: https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Success_Stories_by_Symptoms_&_Diagnoses

(They should probably add long covid and chronic Lyme)

Achilles Tendonitis
Acid Reflux
Allergies
Anxiety Symptoms
Arm Pain
Asthma
Back Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Bursitis
Buttock Pain
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)
Chondromalacia
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Coccydynia
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
Depression
Dermatological conditions
Dry Eye
Dry Mouth, Burning Mouth, Sjogren's Syndrome
Dizziness
Elbow Pain
Fibromyalgia Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Food Sensitivities
Foot Pain
Frequent Sickness
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Groin Pain
Hand Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Headaches
Heel Pain
Herniated Disc
Hiatus Hernia
Hip Pain
Hyperacusis
Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome
Insomnia
Interstitial Cystitis (IC)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Knee Injuries
Leg Pain
Migraines Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Neck Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Neuropathy
Panic Attacks
Paroxysmal Hypertension
Piriformis Syndrome
Plantar Fasciitis
Post-Polio Syndrome
Prostate Pain
Raynaud's Phenomenon
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI) Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Restless Leg Syndrome
Sacroiliac Pain
Sciatica Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Shin Splints
Shoulder Pain Allstar Page Icon.jpg
Skin problems such as rashes
Spasmodic Dysphonia
Spinal Stenosis
Spondylolisthesis
Stomach Pain
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Tendonitis
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS)
Tinnitus
Tooth Pain
Trigger Finger
Vertigo
Vision Problems
Vulvodynia

It’s most likely that men are less willing to admit they have anxiety than woman are. The Macho thing. It’s too embarrassing 😳!

Edited by Mike41

I missed this vid when first published but for some reason the YouTube algorithm today suggested it.  Very nice (rational and not conspiratorial) summary of Covid-19 origins info, some of which I had not known:

Bit of an update on the monkeypox, it appears to be a newer strain circulating in humans since 2017. Oddly it has many recent mutations that seemingly make it less fit.

Monkeypox DNA hints virus has been spreading outside Africa for years

Genome sequencing confirms that monkeypox cases outside Africa are all related and suggests the virus responsible may have been circulating in people since 2017

Moderna has an omicron-specific booster shot. Does it change anything?

this booster was developed for the original version of the omicron variant, but the virus has continued to mutate since then

With this continuous mutation, a moving target, it's going to be very difficult to show that these variant-specific vaccines are going to be effective in terms of future variants

This data doesn't say anything about the prevention of infection. It tells you about antibody titers

How effective that elevated immune response is at preventing infection and severe cases remains to be seen.

But there's no need to rush out and get the new shot or wait for it to be authorized if you are eligible for a booster shot now, Dionne says: "I'd just think of this as replacing your next routine booster whenever that would be."

The omicron variants have a very different spike structure, than the earlier variants -- more like waving tentacles, rather than a spike.  Since the spike structure is the usual target of most vaccines, that might explain why fully vaccinated and even boosted people are still susceptible to the omicron variants.

But a good omicron specific vaccine that was reasonably protective to one of the many omicron variants, IMO,  would likely be effective for the whole kaboodle of omicron variants.  So when these vaccines are available (probably in at most a few months), I would advise getting it.  I certainly will.

--  Saul

After several relatives complained of adverse effects 6-9 weeks after a covid vaccination, I searched the web and found  Placebo Effect Accounts for More Than Two-Thirds of COVID-19 Vaccine Adverse Events

[Researchers] compared the rates of adverse events reported by participants who received the vaccines to the rates of adverse events reported by those who received a placebo injection containing no vaccine.

While the scientists found significantly more trial participants who received the vaccine reported adverse events, nearly a third of participants who received the placebo also reported at least one adverse event, with headache and fatigue being the most common.  [Emphasis added]

[For the first dose, ] Haas and colleagues’ analysis suggested that nocebo accounted for 76 percent of all adverse events in the vaccine group and nearly a quarter of all local effects reported.

After the second dose, adverse events among the placebo group dipped to 32 percent reporting any systemic events and 12 percent reporting any local effects. In contrast, participants who received the vaccine reported more side effects, with 61 percent reporting systemic adverse events and 73 percent reporting local adverse events.

[Information on side effects] may cause people to misattribute common daily background sensations as arising from the vaccine or cause anxiety and worry that make people hyper alert to bodily feelings about adverse events.

• 2 weeks later...

Reinfections, even with vaccination, result in increasing health risks:

"Compared to non-infected controls, assessment of the cumulative risks of repeated infection showed that the risk and burden increased in a graded fashion according to the number of infections"

Outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 Reinfection

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1749502/v1