Is David Sinclair a hypster?

Mike41

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, Sinclair seems to believe his own spiel  .... so he many be "genuine" .... and when you've got Harvard  creds, published some papers, look young and healthy for the camera, speak in complete sentences .... and get book contracts with the major publ. houses,... well .... you get "important" people to pay attn. to ya .... Actually, there is some fascinating stuff in this recent vlog ... one being that iron being  a "senescent metal" ... 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:43 AM, omarino said:

Yes

I agree.  Sinclair talked at UR in the bio dept, about 2 years ago (in the annual anti-aging conference, presented (pre-pandemic) at the end of the academic year.  He's a very convincing speaker -- he triede previously to sell resveratrol as a "miracle drug" -- he made a lot of money, but the drug was eventually shown to be virtually useless.  At his talk at UR, he was pushing his latest worthless anti-aging pill -- and he sells them, online.

Khurram, don't be overly impressed by university titles.

--  Saul

13 hours ago, Saul said:

I agree.  Sinclair talked at UR in the bio dept, about 2 years ago (in the annual anti-aging conference, presented (pre-pandemic) at the end of the academic year.  He's a very convincing speaker -- he triede previously to sell resveratrol as a "miracle drug" -- he made a lot of money, but the drug was eventually shown to be virtually useless.  At his talk at UR, he was pushing his latest worthless anti-aging pill -- and he sells them, online.

Khurram, don't be overly impressed by university titles.

--  Saul

While you may arrive at the conclusion that you don't think what he's saying lives up to the hype and that the science doesn't pan out (or will not pan out), it is factually incorrect to say that he sells any supplements including resveratrol, NAD, NR, and so forth. If you actually spend any time following his work you will realize that this is made abundantly clear again and again and again...

The Fountain of Youth has Been Discovered!!!

David Sinclair loves to IMPLY that he’s reversed aging by 10 Years!  He’s smart enough not to be caught in a trap cause he knows it ain’t really true but it makes great headlines to be sure as we see in many of his talks. 

“ I was shocked how well just the simple changes to what I ate and how I lived were able to have such an age-reversal effect. I would have thought that I’d need a potent medicine that we were working on, but I didn’t need that. There’s a lot more that you can do than I think a lot of people realize. But, it really only works, as I’ve witnessed, if you have the feedback. If you go on a diet or you take this or that, or you eat certain foods, you really don’t have any good way of knowing if it’s working. We just hope. And that’s what I did until InsideTracker came along. But when InsideTracker was actually showing me that what I was doing was not enough, that in fact, maybe some of what I was doing wasn’t great for me, I was able to correct that and it’s like I’ve got another 10 years of research in me.”

cited from:   https://blog.insidetracker.com/david-sinclair-harvard-anti-aging-success

Edited by Mike41

4 hours ago, Saul said:

Yes, but he owns several for profit companies that sell the pills.

Correct.

In 2004, Sinclair, along with serial entrepreneur Andrew Perlman, Christoph Westphal, Richard Aldrich, Richard Pops, and Paul Schimmel, founded Sirtris Pharmaceuticals.[4][5] Sirtris was focused on developing Sinclair's research into activators of sirtuins, work that began in the Guarente lab.[4] The company was specifically focused on resveratrol formulations and derivatives as activators of the SIRT1 enzyme; Sinclair became known for making statements about resveratrol like: "(It's) as close to a miraculous molecule as you can find. ... One hundred years from now, people will maybe be taking these molecules on a daily basis to prevent heart disease, stroke, and cancer."[4] Most of the anti-aging field was more cautious, especially with regard to what else resveratrol might do in the body and its lack of bioavailability.[4][6] The company's initial product was called SRT501, and was a formulation of resveratrol.[7] Sirtris went public in 2007 and was subsequently purchased and made a subsidiary of GlaxoSmithKline in 2008 for $720 million.[8][9]

In 2006, Genocea Biosciences was founded based on work of Harvard scientist Darren E. Higgins around antigens that stimulate T cells and the use of these antigens to create vaccines;[10] Sinclair was a co-founder.[11]

In 2008, Sinclair was promoted to tenured professor at Harvard Medical School.[12] A few years later, he also became a conjoint professor at the School of Medical Sciences at the University of New South Wales.[12]

In 2008, Sinclair joined the scientific advisory board of Shaklee and helped them devise and introduce a product containing resveratrol called "Vivix"; after the Wall Street Journal requested an interview about his work with the company and its marketing, he disputed the use of his name and words to promote the supplement, and resigned.[13]

In 2011, Sinclair was a co-founder of OvaScience with Michelle Dipp (who had been involved with Sirtris), Aldrich, Westphal, and Jonathan Tilly, based on scientific work done by Tilly concerning mammalian oogonial stem cells and work on mitochondria by Sinclair.[14][15] Tilly's work was controversial, with some groups unable to replicate it.[16][17]

In 2011, Sinclair was also a co-founder of CohBar, along with Nir Barzilai and other colleagues. CoBar aimed to discover and develop novel peptides derived from mitochondria.[18]

In 2015, Sinclair described to The Scientist his efforts to get funding for his lab, how his lab grew to around 20 people, shrank back down to about 5, and then grew again as he brought in funding from philanthropic organizations and companies, including companies that he helped to start.[18] In 2015, his lab had 22 people and was supported by one R01 grant and was 75% funded by non-federal funds.[18] However, as of 2016, this was no longer true as his federal funding began to increase.[19]

In September 2019, Sinclair published Lifespan: Why We Age – and Why We Don't Have To, a New York Times bestseller, co-written with journalist Matthew LaPlante and translated into 18 languages.[20] This was also released as an audiobook on Audible and read by Sinclair.[21]

• 1 month later...

About the REZ scandal ...

Anyway, folks ...

If I wanted lotsa $$ and fame n' 'tention ... I would do EXACTLY what Sinclair is doing now (and, besides, conspiracy theories are fun bedtime stories !!) ....

Sinclair made over $700M after he sold his stuff about Resveratrol., back in 2004. So bank / invest / bitcoin that.

Keep writin' 'em books wit da major pubz.

Botox, anti-aging skin creams, Oil of Olay, etc ....

Keep gettin' guested on popular vlogs and podcasts.

Stick to the same script; never admit anything you prev. claimed was flawed.

Lather - Rinse - Repeat.

Oh ... and most 'portant ... do at least moderate CR. The dude does look pretty thin in the vidz .... yeah, he KNOW how it works 😉

1 hour ago, KHashmi316 said:

... botoxboy  ...

And/or it may be Collagen ...

(it's very interesting the way this video clip -- on Sinclair's OWN YouTube channel -- is MARKETED: <1min and in vertical (phone) format and that clickbait title and tumbnail. The clip is extracted and verticalized from one of the std. longer 16x9 vlogs).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/5/2022 at 3:24 AM, BrianA said:

Sinclair mentions in the hype-y piece he only eats 1 meal a day, avoids sugar/dessert, does sauna and cold exposure, and some other tips.

The ‘Benjamin Button’ effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice. The goal is to do the same for humans

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/health/reverse-aging-life-itself-scn-wellness/index.html

I don't think you should take life style advice from Sinclair. I'm not saying that these points are wrong. But he is just picking it up from other advocates in the field (Rhonda Patrick etc.) and is not explaining the scientific evidence for this in any detail - e.g. model of evidence (in vitro vs. animal vs. human), validity of studies (biomarkers, mechanistic reasoning, actual mortality data) or type of study (case control, RCT, epidemological etc.).

Peter Attia or Michael Rae are much more trustworthy sources of information, as they are doing their own deep dive research on each recommendation and are actually explaining the evidence behind it in detail.

• 1 month later...

A recent podcast wherein David recommends a pescatarian diet along with time restricted eating as a way to REVERSE biological aging. I would love to hear the likes of Dean Pomerleau and Michael Rae WRT reversing biological aging. Is this possible??

If someone has a less-than-optimal lifestyle, then actually yes recent research shows they can achieve a (likely one-time) reversal in their age as reported by epigenetic aging tests by improving their lifestyle factors. One example:

Diet and Lifestyle Change Reverses Aging by Three Years in Eight Weeks

https://neurosciencenews.com/diet-lifestyle-biological-aging-18508/

Comparison of Luigi and David

on Fasting: Luigi is wary of fasting of fasting and skipping breakfast. He claims a meta analysis shows skipping breakfast raises mortality. He suggests 12 hour only daily and NOT skipping breakfast. David OTOH SKIPS BREAKFEAST AND FASTS 16 hours daily. 

on supplements and drugs Luigi says they are like gambling in Las Vegas. Most of the time you lose!! Met Forman is cool if ya got diabetes, but suggests it’s a gamble if not. Rapamycin same thing a gamble. Supplements like NR, ETC. SAME. NO STUDIES ON THESE THINGS FOR thirty-forty years and never will be. OTOH David takes all kinds of supplements like NR, RESVERATROL AND HES A BIG FAN OF TAKING METFORMIN EVEN IF YOUR NOT DIABETIC

Edited by Mike41