Exercise routine question --> weight loss and lowering BMI

Hi everyone, long time reader here (and new member : )

I am a 32 year old male, height 5'8, weight fluctuates from 150-155lbs; I want to get down to around 135lb, w/ low bodyfat. Currently, I have a good amount of muscle but also some bodyfat (most of which is in the gut area).

I do both cardio and weight training [on average, around 6 days a week], each day I do around 50-100 reps of kettlebell swings or dips or pull ups (usually one of these exercises) + cycle outside anywhere from 30-60 minutes. 

My question is as follows: in order to drop down to a lower BMI and lose body fat, how long will it take (to lose around 10kg), and how much should I emphasize exercise throughout this weight loss process? Would you recommend to keep the 6 day a week strength + cardio training? Or to rotate between days? 

Along similar lines, is there a metabolic difference between a calorie restricted day (e.g. 1500 calories consumed) without exercise versus a 2000 calories consumed day - 500 calories burned via exercise? I imagine the latter is more "healthy"?

The end goal is to have a lower BMI, better health markers, lipids, and to be more agile and lean. 

Thank you for your responses,

Alex

Edited by alexthegra8

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the CR forums. Thanks for coming out of hiding :-).

1 hour ago, alexthegra8 said:

My question is as follows: in order to drop down to a lower BMI and lose body fat, how long will it take (to lose around 10kg), and how much should I emphasize exercise throughout this weight loss process? Would you recommend to keep the 6 day a week strength + cardio training? Or to rotate between days? 

Along similar lines, is there a metabolic difference between a calorie restricted day (e.g. 1500 calories consumed) without exercise versus a 2000 calories consumed day - 500 calories burned via exercise? I imagine the latter is more "healthy"?

Dropping 20lbs from where you are should ideally occur over at least five months (~1lb per week), to avoid excess loss of muscle mass and because rapid weight loss can result in the quick release of harmful substances stored in fat.

You should definitely keep up your exercise routine during and after your weight loss phase to maintain bone and cardiovascular health. 500kcal per day of exercise seems very reasonable. If I were you I would diversify my cardio beyond cycling - maybe add higher impact cardio like jogging once in a while to maintain bone heallth and maybe increase the variety of your resistance training. Otherwise it looks like you've got a good plan.

There is an interesting thread on exercise here:

--Dean

Thanks Dean, I agree about the notion of rapid weight loss being unhealthy -- whenever I dropped more than 1kg in a span of 7-10 days It was always really easy to gain back (almost too easy:)

What do you think about organic nut butters? I rely heavily on organic peanut as well as almond butter -- these help with getting enough fat and also keep me full along with a decent amount of carbs. If I cut too much fat or too many carbs, my sleep suffers.