Are we exercising too much!

4 hours ago, mccoy said:

Guys, my point was that I regarded it as funny that the NIH online calculator indicated me as 'overweight'. Maybe if the BMI is a proxy for adiposity, disregarding muscle size.

Anyhow, in the meanwhile my BMI dropped to 24.5, which puts me in the green range of normoweight, LOL, I'm going to survive for the next 1 and a half years!

Of course, I'm not very thin like 7% adipose, more probably 12%, it would be interesting if the mortality Hazard rates in studies were calculated according to true adiposity as detected by a DEXA SCAN for example.

I don't remember if we already discussed that and posted mortality studies for 'real' adiposity (not its proxy, BMI, which can also be a proxy for muscle hypertrophy).

Back to the OP, if we exercise too much such that hunger is overly stimulated, then muscle AND adiposity might increase above a healthy threshold, so the truth has many facets.

Edited by Mike41

• 1 month later...

Thanks Mike. Interestingly, it appeared that higher step volume was more beneficial for people over 60 compared with under 60. Here is the figure from the paper:

Screenshot_20220312-154707_Chrome.jpg

The curve for people over 60 is still (slowly) descending at the highest number of steps per day the researchers included (16k), at which point the risk of dying is ~40% relative to the reference group, who walked ~3k steps per day.

However the authors note that the residual effects of reverse causality can't be ruled out:

Although we attempted to control for sociodemographic, lifestyle, and health status factors in our analyses, residual confounding and reverse causality might still be present. 

In other words, people who are in better health and therefore less likely to die might also be able and willing to walk more steps per day.

--Dean

• 4 months later...

New study finds lowest risk of death was among adults who exercised 150-600 minutes/week

An analysis of more than 100,000 participants over a 30-year follow-up period found that adults who perform two to four times the currently recommended amount of moderate or vigorous physical activity per week have a significantly reduced risk of mortality, according to new research published today in the American Heart Association's journal Circulation. The reduction was 21-23% for people who engaged in two to four times the recommended amount of vigorous physical activity, and 26-31% for people who engaged in two to four times the recommended amount of moderate physical activity each week.

"Our study leveraged repeated measures of self-reported physical activity over decades to examine the association between long-term physical activity during middle and late adulthood and mortality."

[Participants] had an average age of 66 years and an average body mass index (BMI) of 26 kg/m2 over the 30-year follow-up period.

Participants self-reported their leisure-time physical activity by completing a validated questionnaire for either the Nurses' Health Study or Health Professionals Follow-Up Study every two years. … Moderate activity was defined as walking, lower-intensity exercise, weightlifting and calisthenics. Vigorous activity included jogging, running, swimming, bicycling and other aerobic exercises.

analysis found that adults who performed double the currently recommended range of either moderate or vigorous physical activity each week had the lowest long-term risk of mortality.

[While more exercise was better than less, moderate exercise seemed to have marginally better results than vigorous.  CB]

• Participants who performed two to four times above the recommended amount of long-term vigorous physical activity (150-300 min/week) had an observed 27-33% lower risk of CVD mortality and 19% non-CVD mortality, for an overall 21-23% lower risk of death from all causes.
  • Participants who performed two to four times above the recommended amount of moderate physical activity (300-600 min/week) had an observed 28-38% lower risk of CVD mortality and 25-27% non-CVD mortality, for an overall 26-31% lower risk of mortality from all causes.

However, engaging in long-term, high intensity physical activity (≥300 minutes/week) or moderate intensity physical activity (≥600 minutes/week) at levels more than four times the recommended weekly minimum did not provide any additional reduction in risk of death.