Guffer

CR for elderly 80+

For some weeks now my 80+ aged parents join me in a weekly 36h fast. Information on whether benefits outweigh possible adverse effects is ambiguous.

Anybody care to share their view/knowledge? 

I'm 80+ and I've been on Calorie Restriction for over 20 years.

BUT, it's probably not good to START CR when you're 80+  --  or even 70+.  The process that the body must go through to go from Ad Lib to CR should be slow and gradual.  And the older you are when you start, the worse.

--  Saul

Thank you, Saul, for your reply. Knowing my parents, they'll probably want to push through anyway. Could you perhaps point me towards some scientific literature to back up my argumentation? 

Kind regards, 

Geoff

1 hour ago, Guffer said:

Thank you, Saul, for your reply. Knowing my parents, they'll probably want to push through anyway. Could you perhaps point me towards some scientific literature to back up my argumentation? 

Kind regards, 

Geoff

Hi Geoff, 

See this entire threat for a discussion of the scientific evidence for risks associated with starting (and maybe continuing) CR in one's elder years:

--Dean 

Hi Dean, 

Thanks for sharing this interesting discussion. I'm looking forward to start reading it later today. 

Kind regards, 

Geoff. 

Hi again Geoff!

One thing that's always a good idea:  Your parents might try eating less meat, and more fruits and vegetables.

-- Saul