Supercentenarian (112 - 116y) Blood Test Analysis

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 1:54 AM, Mike Lustgarten said:

Thanks Ron. Jiroemon's CRP was great at 111.5y, but not great afterwards. In contrast, his glucose, HbA1c, TGs, and HDL were consistently good, which suggests greater importance for those variables on longevity.

True, but since he died, one can argue that the increased inflammation after 111.5 was a contributing factor to his death, while the markers that stayed the same mattered less 🙂

One of your videos made me take a look at my albumin. While I've been steady for the last 5 or so years, at about 45 g/dL (as recently as June 2021), last November my albumin dipped to 41 d/L. My ferritin has also dropped, to 15 ug/L and I wondered if the two are related.

During this time I've been in pretty good form and increased my hiking/trail running to 5-6 days a week, usually about 3 miles but a day or two going 5 or 8 miles, with variation in altitude of between 800 and 2000 feet. No tiredness whatsoever. No internal bleeding either (checked).

So, my question for those on CR is, have you noticed your albumin being lower?

I don't know if I can claim to be on CR, but at 6'1' and 145lbs (187cm and 66kg), I have body fat of 12.5% based on a DEXA scan of about the same time. For a male of mid to late 50s, that's pretty low nowadays. It might be just an aberration but it made me wonder what others here are on the lean side see in their results?

On 2/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, Mike Lustgarten said:

I saw that too, thanks Gordo. I was hoping for a more detailed diet for Jiroemon, but I haven't found that yet.

This source says "On his 115th birthday, Mr Kimura had attributed his longevity to getting out in the sunlight.

'I am always looking up towards the sky. That is how I am,'

According to local media, Kimura ate a three-meal-a-day diet of rice, pumpkins and sweet potatoes.

He reportedly did not smoke and said he only ate until he felt 80 per cent full.

According to one town official his motto in life  was 'to eat light and live long'.

"

I like the sunlight note, but I'm gonna have to chalk another one up for the mighty sweet potato!  An old school favorite of the long lived Okinawans AND The One Food the Oldest Person in the U.S. Ate Every Day to Live to 114

Edited by Gordo

So, nobody on CR is chiming in on the albumin question above?

I am still curious.

As to the sweet potatoes, Gordo is right. Although, the Japanese eat both the really sweet white flesh sweet potatoes (also known in the US as Murasaki), and the dark purple, much less sweet and far more nutritious sweet potatoes (sold in the US as Stokes Purple) that the Okinawans of old ate in abundance. I wonder which variety Kimura ate?

16 hours ago, Mike Lustgarten said:

In my data (34 blood tests since 2015), beta-carotene is significantly correlated with higher albumin. I don't get it from orange sweet potatoes, but carrots. 

14 hours ago, AlanPater said:

When quite low in weight, my albumin was low, about 10% below the reference range.

Thank you, Mike and Alan! It does seem that it shows a variation on CR then, and perhaps I am on CR 🙂

I've significantly upped my Beta Carotine intake, eating about 400-600g of orange sweet potatoes a day. The good thing is that I actually love them 🙂