Getting back into Exercise post COVID

COVID has finally infiltrated my nervous system. 32 male, 67kg, 176cm, in shape. 

I had fever on Friday night / Saturday day (maximum 101.0), then fatigue, cold chills, night sweats, -- it seemed like a light version of the flu. By Monday I felt pretty well and worked at my job full capacity. I think omicron may be "nature's vaccine" - a very light illness. Yet, I am seeing conflicting information about getting back into exercise.

Myocarditis and COVID-19 | How Exercise Affects COVID-19 (bicycling.com)

Exercise and Athletics in the COVID-19 Pandemic Era - American College of Cardiology (acc.org)

There is a lot of scary stuff out there about heart/lung damage after covid, how exercise can cause it, exacerbate the illness, then even re-install it. A lot of information recommends people to go and get full EKGs and other cardio tests before even trying exercise after covid...this seems quite overblown to me?

Does anyone have any general advice as to how to ease back into exercise? My routine was usually 30 minutes of cardio a day (cycle/jumprope) + 10x10 kettlebell swings (and one other weight lifting exercise).

Thanks in advanced,

not everyone who catches Covid shows symptoms of Long Covid.  Remember, we live in the obesity epidemic.  People with obesity and/or diabetes are much more likely to have severe problems with covid.

any study that doesn't adjust for comorbidaties isn't very useful.

If you're in good health, but have recovered from mild covid infection, I wouldn't worry much about Long Covid.  I'd go back to at least 30min of aerobic exercise, say about 5 days a week (or more), and maybe a bit of stengthening.

Good luck (and looking to work out tomorrow myself - but I've never had covid),

--  saul

5 hours ago, Saul said:

not everyone who catches Covid shows symptoms of Long Covid.  Remember, we live in the obesity epidemic.  People with obesity and/or diabetes are much more likely to have severe problems with covid.

any study that doesn't adjust for comorbidaties isn't very useful.

If you're in good health, but have recovered from mild covid infection, I wouldn't worry much about Long Covid.  I'd go back to at least 30min of aerobic exercise, say about 5 days a week (or more), and maybe a bit of stengthening.

Good luck (and looking to work out tomorrow myself - but I've never had covid),

--  saul

Thanks a lot for the support. Even as a person w/ an advanced degree and one that is well versed in a lot of health literature, I still think the media has done A LOT of harm in scaring people over covid. Lots of my colleagues at work (that fall into the demographic you describe) are terrified of the virus and sensationalize it greatly.

Edited by alexthegra8