Spirulina -- a "perfect" food?

Discussions of Spirulina go waaaaayyy back to my early days on the  CR List. Indeed there were several discussion threads devoted to the product. 

IIRC, there were also several active Spirulina users at the time -- myself included (have not used it, however, since 2004/5).

A few recent product spotlights have re-sparked personal interest. 

According to this video ...

---

Astronauts have a unique problem. They have to prevent certain health issues, such as:
1. Bone density depletion 
2. Muscular atrophy 
3. Metabolic rate change 
4. Loss of body mass 
5. Cardiovascular breakdown 
6. Decreased immune system 

Astronauts have to carry food that is persevered, dehydrated, or freeze-dried. They are also in an environment where they are exposed to high amounts of radiation, and they have to artificially regulate the oxygen, CO2, and temperature in the environment. 

NASA did a research project in the 70s that concluded that spirulina is one of the most powerful concentrated foods available to mankind for increased immune function and removing toxins. They also stated that the nutrient value of 1000kg of fruits and vegetables equates to 1kg of spirulina.

Benefits of spirulina:
 • It’s loaded with potassium, calcium, magnesium, and beta carotene 
 • It has all 8 essential amino acids
 • It’s a nutrient-dense superfood 
 • It has iron and folate (it has 6x more absorption than normal iron supplements)
 • It has a lot of phytochemicals (can help remove toxins and improve immunity)

Also, just received an email from Methuselah Foundation with subject "Deep Space Food Challenge Phase 2 Opens".

Have no idea what this is about or whether spirulina is being investigated.

https://www.mfoundation.org/news/deepspacefoodphase2opens

I think cryptocurrency is involved! So good for MF!

Edited by KHashmi316

On 1/26/2022 at 10:02 PM, AlanPater said:

The microcystin risk and heavy metal contamination is really a non-issue with spirulina. Spirulina has had GRAS recognition for years. Aphanizomenon flos-aquae is the algae that is much more frequently contaminated with cyanotoxins.

However, is spirulina even suitable as a staple food? I don't think I would be comfortable consuming 100+ grams of it a day. Is 10+ grams of phycocyanin even healthy? I wouldn't want to be the lab rat there.