Omega 3 - are there upper limits and toxicity risks?

0ari

Hi everyone,

My omega 3 is 6.5g and 400% above the limit, is this a problem?  Most (6g) is from chia (tblspns/day) and flax (1 tblspn/day).  I'm otherwise healthy, in good shape, and exercise regularly. I googled and the only thing I can find on Omega 3 toxicity is old and vague: https://today.oregonstate.edu/archives/2013/oct/excess-omega-3-fatty-acids-could-lead-negative-health-effects

I like things where they, I'm otherwise good with my numbers so I don't want to change. But if its an issue I can cut my chia and flax to 1/2 tablespoon each (I grind them before eating), which lowers my omega 3 to 2.8g (1.2 from flax and .9 from chia), and lowers me to 172% above the upper limit in cronometer.  this would put me at 2.3g omega 6 (13% of recommended amount) / 2.8g omega 3 (172%).  But I prefer not to do this unless my current numbers are a problem.

Thanks!

Edited by 0ari
add omega 6 info and 3/6 ratio

• 3 weeks later...

@0ari, Here's a link I found interesting on this question.

http://www.isnff-jfb.com/index.php/JFB/article/view/98

It seems they were looking at marine sources and dietary supplements which may not apply directly for you, but the oxidation concerns seem potentially relevant even in plant-based omega-3s.

Abstract:

Dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) may reduce the risk of various diseases. Marine oils rich in omega-3 PUFAs have therefore become popular dietary supplements. Adverse effects need to be considered when administering omega-3 PUFAs. While unproblematic short-term adverse events linked to omega-3 PUFAs have been reported, long-term PUFA supplementation may be associated with increased cancer risk, possibly due to PUFAs, their oxidation products or added vitamin E. Large-scale trials have shown increased rates of prostate cancer in men taking α-tocopherol supplementation. Omega-3 PUFAs are highly prone to oxidative degradation to lipid peroxides and secondary oxidation products, which may render them ineffective or harmful. Oil contained in omega-3 supplements may contain a mixture of omega-3 PUFAs, problematic additives, and unspecified levels of potentially toxic oxidation products. The health consequences of oxidized fish oil intake remain unclear. Given the harmful effects of oxidized lipid products demonstrated in animal experiments, caution is needed in the supplementation of PUFAs at high doses over extended periods of time and during vulnerable phases of life, such as prenatal development, childhood, and adolescence. A balanced approach should weigh the overall health benefits of omega-3 PUFAs against potentially harmful effects of their supplementation. Future research should address the development of effective antioxidants without side effects.