Glycine and N-acetylcysteine supplementation increase wild-type mice lifespan by 24%

14 hours ago, Mike Lustgarten said:

I don't take glycine-my CRP on each of the last 2 tests was < 0.3 mg/L, and insulin was 2.9 mIU/mL. I'm currently insulin sensitive and have relatively low inflammation, so I don't yet see a need for GlyNAC.

I see. My CRP is also really low, but your video prompted me to take a look at my IL-6, which was deemed normal at 2.5, at least for someone pushing 60. But based on your data, it's really not great, thus my question about glycine.

Have tested other inflammation markers, such as IL-6?

1 hour ago, Mike Lustgarten said:

Not in a while-the last time that I measured IL6 and TNF-alpha they needed to be shipped on dry ice, which increased the costs significantly, and motivated me to not measure them regularly.

Fair enough. Thanks.

I might read up a bit on glycine and if I feel it's safe, test my IL-6 and TNF-alpha, take glycine for about three months and test again to see what happens. Or, you can try it and make a video 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in Josh Mitteldorf's recent blog on this glycine-NAC study:

GlyNAC improves biomarkers in humans and extends lifespan in rodents | Josh Mitteldorf (scienceblog.com)

Gents, this is a really impressive study- was anyone else extremely impressed by the results in HUMANS??  This is not theoretical, petri-dish, ex-vivo stuff.

GlyNAC given to the folks that were old age did the following (from the abstract):

GlyNAC supplementation for 24 weeks in OA corrected RBC-GSH deficiency, OxS, and mitochondrial dysfunction; and improved inflammation, endothelial dysfunction, insulin-resistance, genomic-damage, cognition, strength, gait-speed, and exercise capacity; and lowered body-fat and waist-circumference. 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, Ron Put said:

Mike, so you take glycine, right? Have tested your oxidation and inflammation markers to be able to compare before and after? Have you varied doses?

There are some potentially serious detrimental effects from supplementation with NAC.

Does anyone here know of anything similar in terms of the long-term effects of glycine supplementation?

Ron,

If you've read the study - maybe you're as intrigued about glycine as I am - something that improves sleeping, increases insulin sensitivity - examine has a review of it here based on 151 papers:

Glycine Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

It appears very safe ... at the moment.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, Clinton said:

Ron,

If you've read the study - maybe you're as intrigued about glycine as I am - something that improves sleeping, increases insulin sensitivity - examine has a review of it here based on 151 papers:

Glycine Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

It appears very safe ... at the moment.

Thanks, Clinton. I think I'll give glycine alone a try, it has a fairly long history and it's a relatively common supplement, especially among the fitness crowd apparently, and it doesn't appear to cause any significant adverse effects. I already started taking it, mixing about 2g with my morning matcha powder and L-citrulline powder, which I've been taking regularly for about three months now. I don't know if the L-citrulline has contributed to my general blood pressure drop lately, with an average over the past week or so of about 98/64 (I had not checked my BP since January). For someone close to 60, this is not bad, without any meds, so I am pleased.

• 1 year later...
59 minutes ago, mikeccolella said:

Remarkable results in humans! 

I've been taking about 2g of L-glycine and 1.3g of NAC. I am about 145lbs (65kg) so it appears that if I were to follow the methodology used in this study I should be taking close to 7g of each per day. It's a lot, and I am not sure about long-term safety at such doses -- anyone here who has done research?

The study is very small and done by the holder of a GlyNAC patent. It also uses alanine, at 200mg per kg (14g for my weight!) and alanine can raise glucose levels, probably significantly if used long-term at such a dose.

Small study by patent holder that comes up with fantastic results? This is called a classic. If you get an email from a "Nigerian prince" promising fabulous returns, do you think to yourself "yes, these are classic red flags, but until proven otherwise isn't there a chance it's true?"

Even without knowing a single thing about the study, this alone begs for a replication with more power. Replication, the heart of science. Surely, if the results are as amazing, there will be great desire to replicate.

I think before I take gobs of a supplement I'll wait for some additional studies. YMMV.

18 hours ago, TomBAvoider said:

Small study by patent holder that comes up with fantastic results? This is called a classic. If you get an email from a "Nigerian prince" promising fabulous returns, do you think to yourself "yes, these are classic red flags, but until proven otherwise isn't there a chance it's true?"

Even without knowing a single thing about the study, this alone begs for a replication with more power. Replication, the heart of science. Surely, if the results are as amazing, there will be great desire to replicate.

I think before I take gobs of a supplement I'll wait for some additional studies. YMMV.

I agree.

--  Saul