Longevity Supplements - Interventions Testing Program Results | Dr. Richard Miller

1 hour ago, Ron Put said:

If I recall, long-term rapamycin use also causes hyperlipidemia and insulin resistance...

Mouth ulcers seem to be the most common collateral effect, plus the ones you cited, but there may be worse ones. The trick may be to use a minimal intermittent dose. Of course, too little and you are doing a useless thing, too much and you come up with very annoying or painful ulcers. Optimization is always hard to achieve.

I'm speaking without having listened to the podcast, which I'll put in the program, after having listened to the macabre news from the Ukrainian war theater.

2 hours ago, Ron Put said:

If I recall, long-term rapamycin use also causes hyperlipidemia and insulin resistance... 

Yes; but that effect is mild.  If you're a serious Calorie Restrictor, you're your lipid levels and insulin sensitivity are so good, that these side effects are trivial.  (Not so for a diebaetic).

--  Saul

Wow.  So some key take-aways for anyone hoping to increase healthspan/lifespan in a pill (or augment your exercise, etc. with a supplement regimen):

I came away from that hearing that there was zero evidence for fish oil, green tea, resveratrol, nicotinamide riboside (NR), NMN, spermidine (which we already know that diets high in spermidine for humans is THE most important micronutrient for lifespan), and unfortunately they were not able to test a stable form of sulforaphane.

Quite interesting at the end he seemed enthused about astaxanthin ...

On 4/12/2022 at 3:32 PM, Saul said:

Yes; but that effect is mild.  If you're a serious Calorie Restrictor, you're your lipid levels and insulin sensitivity are so good, that these side effects are trivial.  (Not so for a diebaetic).

--  Saul

Fair enough. But if one is healthy it may be best to wait for more solid evidence of benefits, and more importantly, safety. Even if mild, things like insulin resistance and hyperlipidemia should give one a pause. Mouth ulcers are often a sign of inflammation and are common in diabetics.

Of course, it's an individual choice. My point above was that the video was effectively an infomercial, not even mentioning well-known detrimental effects (unless I missed it).