Science of Fasting !

spyderdoc

14 hours ago, Todd Allen said:

I'm surprised you didn't mention the effects fasting can have on LDL.  Many can see significant jumps in LDL when they fast.  I increased my LDL by more than 200 mg/dl after a 5 day fast but I tend to be an over achiever.

Could it have to do with mobilization of body fat tissue lipids upon fasting?  It would be transitory if this were the case.

39 minutes ago, AlanPater said:

Could it have to do with mobilization of body fat tissue lipids upon fasting?  It would be transitory if this were the case.

Probably.  My cholesterol is responsive to diet.  If I massively over eat for a few days I can drive cholesterol low and when I fast it goes high.  Some animals such as squirrels and bears have been found to have very high cholesterol while hibernating which can be for months at a time sometimes more than half the year.  So even if transitory spending a majority of time in this state ought to be killing them if the theory of duration of exposure to elevated cholesterol was the primary driver of CVD.

Edited by Todd Allen