Why thinking hard makes you tired

So it seems mental work is legitimately a kind of exercise, that stresses neurons. I wonder if this explains why folks with more education/tougher mental jobs are known to live longer - more brain exercise = better brain health?

"reported in Current Biology on August 11, show that when intense cognitive work is prolonged for several hours, it causes potentially toxic byproducts to build up in the part of the brain known as the prefrontal cortex. This in turn alters your control over decisions, so you shift toward low-cost actions requiring no effort or waiting as cognitive fatigue sets in, the researchers explain."

Why thinking hard makes you tired

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/08/220811135344.htm

On 8/12/2022 at 2:02 AM, BrianA said:

I wonder if this explains why folks with more education/tougher mental jobs are known to live longer - more brain exercise = better brain health?

I beg to differ on the logical plane on the above sentence. More brain health does not necessarily means more overall health and longer life... A mental job also means a job which is not potentially wearing physically, more education usually means that there is more sensitivity to health & longevity issues, usually but not always.

Also, the cognitive challenge is but one of the factors known to provide brain health. An important one which I make sure to exercise, but it does not necessarily govern.

Edited by mccoy