Psilocybin

mccoy

I remember that in the past there have been some discussions about this psychedelic compound. Since I'm in the process of reading one of the main treaties of psychopharmacology (Stahl's essential psychopharmacology, 2021 5th edition) it has been interesting to come across this substance and to read about the mechanisms of action.

Psilocybin is rapidly metabolized to psilocin, so they are both present after ingestion. Their hallucinogenic effect is mainly linked to agonism at the 5HT2A receptor, one of the main serotonin receptors.

Agonism means that the psilocybin/psilocin molecule binds to the 5HT2A receptors, mimicking a powerful surge of natural serotonin, causing n amplified electric signal at some neural circuits. The anti-depressive drugs like the SSRIs also cause a greater flow of serotonin (by inhibiting its reuptake), so it is no wonder that psilocybin is being studied, as a breakthrough drug, as an antidepressant, anxiolytic and against PTSD.

image.png.a5a45e22d551784ff414052460fbeb58.png

The mechanism of action of psilocybin, causing psychosis, hallucinations, and other experiences have been described as follows. It is all related to the strong stimulation of 5HT2A receptors in glutamatergic neurons in some areas of the brain. Please note that auditory hallucinations are more typical of schizophrenia and 

image.png.5d5fb000d45a52503092189bc07e7544.png

The serotoninergic hypothesis constitutes one of the hypotheses of psychosis; in the context of psilocybin most probably governs the amplified glutamate release in the visual cortex, which apparently is the root cause of all the visions occuring to the users of such substance.

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the 4 part series "How to Change Your Mind" (Michael Pollan) from Netflix,  it was pretty good, it seems these substances have a lot of potential to help people. My only criticism is that it seemed mostly focused on the medicinal aspect but I think these substances also have a lot to offer to healthy people who would just like to have an beautiful or extraordinary or mystical experience.  In many ways it can be like a good vacation... restorative,  inspirational,  or many just fun. Then again it could also be like a bad vacation,  haha, certainly not without risk. But arguably MUCH safer than alcohol which according to WHO causes 3 million deaths a year.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Gordo said:

but I think these substances also have a lot to offer to healthy people who would just like to have an beautiful or extraordinary or mystical experience. 

That's why they are also called 'recreational drugs'. If I ever wanted to try a recreational experience like that though, I'd like it to be a controlled one, with a known dosage of a pure, unadulterated or uncut active component. The recreational experience may be designed with successive stages, starting from the lower dosages since there is a known variability in the response. But the adventurous side maybe it's a part of the experience itself, not knowing exactly what to expect. As written in Stahl's treatise, it seems that psychotic reactions following the use of hallucinogens are very rare, unlike with cocaine and other drugs. Some adverse reactions liek anxiety may occur though.

https://hopkinspsychedelic.org

They are doing extensive research on psychedelics. One of the interesting aspects is that these drugs don’t really cause the effects, rather they suppress the ego and the default mode network which leads to areas of the brain that are normally overwhelmed to become active. Aldous Huxley used psilocybin extensively and he was probably on the mark when he concluded that these drugs “open the doors of perception” They can have powerful effects on existential angst as The famous cancer researcher Roland Griffith study showed using psilocybin on terminal cancer patients. The majority of whom totally lost their fear of death. 60 minutes interviewed him and some of his patients who claimed they were at peace with their fates. Huxley and others have explained this by claiming the experience, done in the proper setting, causes one to see the illusion we all suffer from which is the evolutionary imposed delusion that we are separate entities disconnected from the ultimate reality that we are part and parcel of. The indegenious, so called savages, who used these drugs for millennia were way ahead of us. They used them appropriately for those suffering from depression, trauma etc.

6 hours ago, Mike Lustgarten said:

When I read the title of the thread, I thought, "yes please" 

They're life-altering. And the fact that they became illegal and people were trained to fear them are such tragedies. Life is hard enough; everyone deserves the right to explore effective coping aids safely and without intimidation from ignorant legislators and law enforcement.

I mentioned elsewhere my experience.

It was what I imagine is deep, profound meditation. I don't meditate purposefully and never have. Shrooms placed me in a deeply introspective state, an exploration of myself of sorts.

Speaking of drugs, I've pretty much stopped drinking (my health tracker lights up in a bad way every time I do, showing lower HRV, higher stress, higher RHR, higher stress, even after a single glass of wine...)