Longevity and accidents

mccoy

Peter Attia has been insisting on this aspect for a while: car accidents.

https://peterattiamd.com/the-epidemic-on-the-road/?utm_source=weekly-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=220918-NL-epidemiconroad&utm_content=220918-NL-epidemiconroad-email-nonsubs&mc_cid=759cf2cd77&mc_eid=98912d7ae2

It is so obvious and banal but often neglected: we cannot pursue efficaciously healthspan and longevity without building strategies against serious accidents, on the road, at home, on the job.

At least, if we are not being very careful not to get hurt, it is clear that we are doing a fool errand worrying so much on metabolic pathways, subtleties on nutrients, cold exposure and so on.

One of the fields where I've been working (and still working in part) is safety on the jobsite. It is a full-fledged engineering topic now, with its conceptual framework, prevention and protection strategies, regulations and so on. 

We should build up our own safety model, against accidents, not only illness, to apply everywhere.

I've been mostly a lurker here, but the topic of accident reduction, particularly by reduction of auto usage, has been a long-term interest of mine.

It fits my overall philosophy of "live longer by not dying"  that looks at the common ways people die, and tries to avoid them.  It also helps that I'm a local news editor/publisher, and get all the police public information releases about the many ways people get killed in traffic (whether or not they are legally at fault).

Edited by Larry Johnson

The best way to avoid this risk is by reducing driving. Also it helps the environment, and saves commute time. I switched to full time work from home when the pandemic started and continue to enjoy it. I think my car, that I used to drive multiple days per week, will get less than 500 miles put on it this year. Don't miss it, really it's more of a chore and stress raiser. Plus the exposure to air pollution on highways is good to avoid. Planning to sell the car and switch to using robotaxis for the occasional trip once they get to the point of not needing infection-vector human "safety" drivers.

12 minutes ago, BrianA said:

Plus the exposure to air pollution on highways is good to avoid. Planning to sell the car and switch to using robotaxis for the occasional trip once they get to the point of not needing infection-vector human "safety" drivers.

An elastomeric respirator can solve both of these problems.