Quantifying Biological Age: Blood Test #6 in 2022

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, Mike, your K is 2000! Impressive, what drives it up there. I'll have to eat something like a dozen Romania lettuce heads to get even close...

An what drives your B-3 intake? My main source is non-fortified nutritional yeast, I am comfortably above RDA but have been wondering if I should try supplementation in between my next blood tests and see what happens.

Finally, I am curious, are you testing lipoprotein (a) and Apo B? If not, why not?

Thanks Ron. I average ~250g of collard greens, plus 50g of fresh parsley/d to get to ~2000 mcg of K1.

For B3, I eat a lot of mushrooms, ~290g/d average. No supplements for B3 in my case. Sardines and corn also contribute decent amounts of niacin to my diet.

I am (regularly) testing Lp(a), as it's been higher than it should be in the past (69 mg/dL, which is too high based on all-cause mortality risk). However, with dietary intervention alone, it's now consistently lower, ~41 mg/dL. I tested ApoB 16x in the summer, too, with at-home testing. 

Thanks, Mike. I was doing dried parsly for a while (I like the taste and it's easy to travel with), I guess I should buy anothet couple of pounds.

I also do about 150-200g mushrooms a day, usually shiitakes, oyster or portobellos. Lately I have developped a real taste for woodear mushrooms (black fungus), love the crunchy texture -- I get them fresh from Asian stores or dried from Amazon. And I just discovered white fungus, this suff is delicious! But I'll have to eat close to a pound a day to move up my B-3.  Any thoughts on supplementing B-3? Cons especially (other than flushing).

I've supplemented with B3 in the past-even relatively low doses (500 mg) increased my liver enzymes, so that's something to consider. However, if the NMN ban goes through (and if that increases my low NAD), then I may have to find another way to raise NAD, and increasing B3 further would be on the list. I'm considering buying niacin powder, and making, then taking aliquots such that I get 10 mg doses, rather than much higher doses.